Latest OS Firmware and Robocopy

Ever since the last firmware upgrade (11/2/2023), I’ve been getting an error on my batch files that backup my MyCloud Ex Ultra to an attached USB drive. The USB drive is attached directly to the MyCloud USB port. My Robocopy script basically mirrors my MyCloud drive to the USB drive. It has worked for me for years…and it actually is still working. But each time the script encounters a new or updated file, it throws the following error: Error 87…Parameter is incorrect. My switches tell it to wait 10 seconds and try again…and it gives me the error again and moves on. But if I check the attached USB, the new or updated file is there. So it appear it’s working, it just tells me it fails. My only switches for the robocopy line are: /S /XO /PURGE /R:1 /W:10 . So it does subfolders, copies newer over older…otherwise skip over the file, purge any files on the USB not on the MyCloud, retry failures one time, and wait 10 seconds in between retries.

Again…the copy appears to work…but why since this last firmware upgrade do I get this invalid parameter message? Any file that is new/updated, it will pause and throw that error.

The files are not large…both MyCloud and the USB have the same file system. The timestamps are all legit…nothing wonky there. I’ve used these same scripts forever.

Any ideas anyone?

Mark

1 Like

Same for me. Seems to have just started on my two EX2 Ultra drives after the latest firmware update.

I am no linux expert. . . .but the latest firmware updated the Linux Kernel of the O/S. Check out the release notes. Maybe the new Kernel executes the robocopy script differently.

Updating the Linux Kernel is a rather big deal in my mind (and necessary to stay current). This should have been highlighted better; and a more significant version “rev number” uses.

The Linux kernel (4.14.22) wasn’t changed in the latest release of My Cloud OS5 version 5.27.157, and it hasn’t been changed since the release of My Cloud OS5 version 5.04.114.

Granted, the Linux kernel config has been tweaked by WD a few times, with the last change being in the release of My Cloud OS5 version 5.22.113.

My bad: I mistook the updating of open source components as a kernel update. Thanks for the correction.

Funny you mention that…when I got up today, I went back and pulled up the release notes to see if anything jumped out at me. Unfortunately, most of the early stuff in the notes is over my head. I’m not sure how any of it would impact my backup scripts. But obviously some update plays a part in throwing that error message. As I mentioned…the copy portion still seems to work, but the error messages still pop up. I guess I can deal with it as is while I maybe tinker with a different backup solution. I’ve just been in the habit of using Robocopy for like 20 years…so it’s just my default go to.

Thanks…Mark

Thanks for the suggestion. I made the change and still getting the same message. Files do appear to get copied…but the message persists. For the time being, I’ve set my command lines retries = 0 so it just keeps on going immediately since the file is actually copying. But something has affected how the process is handled by the new update.

Thanks…Mark

Same issue here. There is an post dated back Jan. 2022 with the same issue. WD must have screwed up the firmware update the same way from 2 years ago.

I’m having a similar issue running a backup using SyncToy. I’m getting an error “Value does not fall within the expected range” Happens across multiple different volumes. This is ever since the latest upgrade.

Quick Update: I downgraded my firmware back to the previous version, and things are back to working normally.

Download is available here: My Cloud OS 5 Firmware Release Note 5.26.300

1 Like

I also downgraded to 5.26.300 and things went back to normal. They made something in 5.27.157 that broke rsync command.

1 Like

i have the latest FW and get the error 87 but i have another problem.
i try to copy the esPIC… directory with all subs to the Y: drive (mapped NAS USB) and Z: is mapped NAS
robocopy z:\esPICs201608 y:\ /S /E /NFL /NDL /NJH

copies all subdirectories to the root of z: but it does not create the esPIC… folder itself

when i make a folder on y like y:\esPIC… and say

robocopy z:\esPICs201608 y:\esPICs201608 /S /E /MT:32 /NFL /NDL /NJH /NJS
nothing gets copied
i feel that robocopy is quite a hit and miss

what am i doing wrong?

The firmware on my two drives updated to 5.27.161 today. I’ll try to determine if the problem with the Error 87 still exists on the new firmware.

Still get the Error 87 with the new firmware.

I did a quick read of the new release notes…didn’t see anything about SMB. So I assumed the error was still there. I’ve changed my scripts to just keep going right past the error with no retries and no wait. The files all still copy and seem to be functional when I’ve tested the backups. So it’s not a huge deal…but it’s an annoyance I hope they fix eventually.

Thanks for checking…Mark

1 Like