Keyboard support for Microsoft wireless optical desktop 700

Hi

I am just wondering if anyone has tried the Microsoft Optical Desktop 700 USB wireless keyboard on the WDTV Live.

I am thinking of buying the keyboard and wondering if anyone has had any luck with this keyboard for Youtube keyboard entry. I have the latest firmware which supports USB keyboards.

Cheers

Hi

I  have a Microsoft Wireless KB not the same model listed by you  but a different model and it is working ( well not perfectly ) The keystrokes are slow and some strokes gets lost. But at least better the the option available through remote . Well anything is WD TV live is better than the remote . Its the worst part.

sanudigit wrote:

The keystrokes are slow and some strokes gets lost. 

That’s thankfully just a bug in the latest firmware.  Normal keyboard response if fast and accurate (that’s how it used to be in the Betas and how it is on the Hub).  Next firmware will hopefully see a fix.

The general rule for whether a keyboard will work is whether it requires a dedicated driver to function in Windows.  

If it’ll work without a driver (or rather, as a generic HID), it should work fine on the Live units.

Cool thanks for that reply.

I guess it might be based on hope then to expect the keyboard strokes to be quicker on the next firmware fix.

Do any of the logitech wireless keyboards have faster keyboard strokes with the current firmware, read somewhere in other listing that some people had faster response with the logitechs.

Is that a valid assumption?

Reason I ask this is because I am deciding between the Microsoft Optical desktop 700 and the Logitech D’T Wireless MK250. So wondering if the MK250 has faster keyboard response.

mcfly64 wrote:

Cool thanks for that reply.

I guess it might be based on hope then to expect the keyboard strokes to be quicker on the next firmware fix.

Do any of the logitech wireless keyboards have faster keyboard strokes with the current firmware, read somewhere in other listing that some people had faster response with the logitechs.

Is that a valid assumption?

Reason I ask this is because I am deciding between the Microsoft Optical desktop 700 and the Logitech D’T Wireless MK250. So wondering if the MK250 has faster keyboard response.

There are a number of USB keyboard threads spread over the various Live forums now, makes it hard to keep track of what’s what!  :)

I think you’re referring to this post:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub/Wireless-Keyboards/m-p/90329#M1269

That member is using a Logitech MK250 and reports it “works like a charm” BUT he posted that in the Hub forum, so he’s not affected by the lag issues present on the Live / Plus.

Keyboard response may vary slightly but probably not enough to be a deciding factor in lessening the affect of the keyboard lag bug.  The type of lag experienced is as if it’s waiting until output is displayed from each keystroke / each animation finishes before accepting further input.  

If anything, a more responsive keyboard could worsen the effects! :smiley:

Base your purchase on cost / features / aesthetics…

Smaller would be better for a keyboard that’ll live on your sofa, or are you planning on using it with a PC as well?

I tested a MS Wireless 2000 and it worked fine. As said above it seems that if it can work directly without driver as a standard usb keyboard, it will have no issue. Now I’m using a small generic USB wired keyboard and it works fine (with the same lag reported at least in the 04.10 fw)

Yeah, I am looking for a small keyboard that I can use only in the lounge and fit on my lap preferably.

I know the 2 I mentioned are more for desktop size, but I can get a great price for them, so I guess I would consider  the compact ones if they are not too much more in price.

I’m using the Logitech Wii keyboard, which is only $20 on Amazon.  

Not sure of your region but, if you live in my former homeland (UK), it’s £19 on Amazon.co.uk, which is still ok.

It’s designed for front room use, so it’s nice and compact.  

As it’s designed for the Wii, it even has an OK button that functions as the Live OK button.  :)

If you also have a Wii, it’ll help you use Opera for easier web browsing on your TV.  Bonus!

1 Like

PixelPower wrote:

I’m using the Logitech Wii keyboard, which is only $20 on Amazon.  

Not sure of your region but, if you live in my former homeland (UK), it’s £19 on Amazon.co.uk, which is still ok.

It’s designed for front room use, so it’s nice and compact.  

As it’s designed for the Wii, it even has an OK button that functions as the Live OK button.  :)

If you also have a Wii, it’ll help you use Opera for easier web browsing on your TV.  Bonus!

I highly recommend the Logitech WII keyboard to work with WD units.  Although Logitech discontinued it, this KB can be found on eBay and/or Amazon.  I was able to get 2 of those for $10 each on eBay.  New in their boxes.  Fast response time, nice shape, and does not break the bank.  Anything else, for the WD units, is an overkill!

Just gone and bought the Logitech Wii Wireless Keyboard off Amazon.

I live in Australia so it converted to $42 Australian dollars.

Hopefully  that gets to me before Christmas rush , so I can do my youtube searching when family come around.

Thank you very much for your great help, and maybe they will fix up the lag issues with the new firmware in time for when I receive my keyboard.