Issues Streaming AVC

Hoping someone can help me resolve this issue. I use MCE Buddy on my media centre recording to reencode. While the reencoded shows will work perfectly from a USB attached to the WDTV if I try and stream the same show from my PC it very rarely ever gets to more than 10 or 15 seconds into the show before it starts stuttering and eventually stops. The wirless encryption is AES. Other shows that are not transcoded by MCE Buddy stream perfectly well. The info for the stream is attached below…is there something that WDTV doesn’t like about this and will not stream that anyone is aware of? I’m going to transcode again with another program and see it it streams after that but thought its worth asking. Thanks

Format                           : MPEG-4
Format profile                   : Base Media
Codec ID                         : isom
File size                        : 452 MiB
Duration                         : 29mn 37s
Overall bit rate                 : 2 133 Kbps

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : Baseline@L3.0
Format settings, CABAC           : No
Format settings, ReFrames        : 6 frames
Codec ID                         : avc1
Codec ID/Info                    : Advanced Video Coding
Duration                         : 29mn 37s
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 1 999 Kbps
Width                            : 704 pixels
Height                           : 396 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate mode                  : Constant
Frame rate                       : 42.458 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.169
Stream size                      : 424 MiB (94%)

Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : AAC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version                   : Version 4
Format profile                   : LC
Format settings, SBR             : No
Codec ID                         : 40
Duration                         : 29mn 36s
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 128 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L R
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Stream size                      : 27.1 MiB (6%)

Welcome to the forums.

The reframes is a little high (we wouldn’t normally want more than 4) and that *might* be the issue – if you have the ability to adjust that parm in the program you might try lowering it.

Running it through Handbrake at the High Profile preset will give you a baseilne (switch output to MKV though).

Thanks for the suggestions will try it out and see what the result is.

Thanks but it didn’t help. Even the handbrake file stutters. I’m on 1.0.21 if that makes a difference. Should I try one of the Betas?

Running the original through Handbrake (NOT the compressed file you posted here, but the original from the disk) using the High Profile preset but set to MKV does not play properly?  Then there’s something wrong with the original.

I also see that it’s a very weird frame rate (note: I’m not a PAL type person, so sometimes I get thrown but it even looks odd for PAL).  You might try forcing the frame rate in Handbrake (instead of the default set the frame rate to 29.97 if it’s a TV show, or 24 if a movie).  Provide us more details about the original – where did it come from?

The only time a file created by Handbrake from a good original should have issues is if the bitrate is too high to stream properly.  This can happen on very large M2TS files (from a blu-ray rip) – in those cases playing wired is the only thing that can be done.  But your file doesn’t look like it has that issue, so I’m guessing it’s just a case of a bad original.  You might try re-ripping the disc again with a product like AnyDVD.

Original is from a TV Tuner from Luminate and wtv file from media centre. Will give it another run.

appears that handbrake can not convert the original. It appears to die with a memory allocation error…guess that rules that portion out. I’ll go and post a message on the handbrake forums. Will try a few other recorded files in case its just this show.