ISO files and Meta Data

Hello everyone.  Please forgive any unusual terminology or poor spelling; English is only my second language. :slight_smile:

I have a quick question about the listing of movies on one of the new HDTV Live units. 

I have a library of DVDs that are ripped as ISO files, and which contain only the main movies.  They list and play fine, but I would love to refine that experience; I have a few relative questions:

1.  Currently, I am seeing the full file title and nothing else.  An example might be  Star Wars.ISO.  Is there a way to hide th file extension so it only says “Star Wars” ?

1. I have found that if I insert a .jpg with the same file name into the folder, it will become an icon/poster for the movie.  But I am wondering if there is a way for the server to pull metadata from the internet for a given movie file.  It seems like there is, but in my case it is not working.  If so, can I correct this?  How?

Thanks!  I have searched for this info, but so far am not finding answers that I understand.  Apologies for any redundancy.  Thanks!

1.  You can’t.  The WDTV Live HD doesn’t support that.

2.  No, the Live HD doesn’t support metadata.

Thanks for the reply Tony.

On my HDTV Setup, there is an area for “Meta-Source Manager” which points at TMDB… So I am guessing that it is in there for something.

I am going to keep digging :slight_smile:

Oh.  You’re in the wrong forum.  

You have a WDTV Live SMP, not the version this forum is for.  

The correct forum is here:   http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Media/ct-p/wdtvlive_streaming

Bedowyn wrote:

Hello everyone.  Please forgive any unusual terminology or poor spelling; English is only my second language. :slight_smile:

I have a quick question about the listing of movies on one of the new HDTV Live units. 

I have a library of DVDs that are ripped as ISO files, and which contain only the main movies.  They list and play fine, but I would love to refine that experience; I have a few relative questions:

1.  Currently, I am seeing the full file title and nothing else.  An example might be  Star Wars.ISO.  Is there a way to hide th file extension so it only says “Star Wars” ?

1. I have found that if I insert a .jpg with the same file name into the folder, it will become an icon/poster for the movie.  But I am wondering if there is a way for the server to pull metadata from the internet for a given movie file.  It seems like there is, but in my case it is not working.  If so, can I correct this?  How?

Thanks!  I have searched for this info, but so far am not finding answers that I understand.  Apologies for any redundancy.  Thanks!

For both issues, make sure your CONTENT SOURCE is either a Local USB disk, or it’s set to “My Media LIbrary” if you’re using server storage.   It doesn’t work with “Media Servers.”   Then, highlight the file, hit OPTIONS, GET CONTENT INFO.

Thanks.  This is working, at least in part.  I am finding that I have to start the movie before the Options button will allow me to grab the meta data, but once it does, it seems that we are in business…  Very good thanks to you sir.

This leads to another pair of questions… is there a way to do this from the file server… grab the relative data ahead of time, as it were…

And is there a way to package this data so it is a bit more organized on the server, without requiring the WDTV user to have to go into another subfolder to play the ISO.  That is, if I put all three files in there own subfolder, then we have to open that subfolder before it we can see and play the iso… I am trying to avoid that step.

Thanks!

Answered my own question … WDTVLive Hub Autogenerator gets the job done nicely.  Done and done.

Bedowyn wrote:

Thanks.  This is working, at least in part.  I am finding that I have to start the movie before the Options button will allow me to grab the meta data, but once it does, it seems that we are in business.

There should be no need to start the movie.   That option exists on the browse menu, as well as the Playback menu.

… and by the way, don’t forget that you can set the “Content Info” option to AUTO, and have it scrape your whole volume automatically.

The only way to keep from having to browse INTO a folder is to not USE a folder per movie.