Is samba uses same usernames and shares as wd2go

Hi guy,

I’m reading that samba is already configured in wd mybook live 2 tb. But the post was from 2010 - probably they are for older firmware, that probably was working over samba. Am I right?

I use wd2go in order to access server from outside my home network. I’m extremely happy with read/write speed (about 20 mb/s) and perfect for media files. But I have very bad experience with Office 2010 documents. It asks my to log in everytime I open a file. And I had to start/stop offile documents from sync center from control panel of my windows 7 ult. So I’m looking for otherways to map drive for web access. I have few questions:

1. Is sampa available with wd2go? users and shares that I create from UI - are they the same for samba server.

2. May I use wd2go (which is webdav ) and samba?

3. Do you recommend to start using samba?

4. Any tutorial for using samba for web access? I just need something that gives my real mapped drive feeling. Webdav doesn’t give it at all.

Thank you guys!

Is samba available with wd2go? No, Samba is a Mac network protocol and WD2GO is a Web base app. for remote access.

May I use wd2go (which is webdav ) and samba? for remote access WD2GO samba is a local network protocol.

Do you recommend to start using samba? if is locally, Yes… if is for remote access, No.

Any tutorial for using samba for web access? No that i know…

Webdav has lots of disadvantages so I want to use samba as webserver. How do we do it on linux debian or especially on wd mybook live?

You cannot use Samba as a webserver.

Webservers require HTTP access;  Samba uses a totally separate, incompatible protocol.

I just want to can map the drive using my direct IP over sampa. Now it is from some webdav server. It is possible to map network drive from outside network using sampa, right?