Is my HDD dying?

hi all,

i have WD6400AAKS Blue, and i’ve never experienced any real problems with it.
however, tonight i tried to run WD’s Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows, chose Quick Test, and after a few seconds it stopped due to a failure.
this is the report:

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WDC WD6400AAKS-00A7B2
Unit Serial Number: WD-WMASY3559417
Firmware Number: 01.03B01
Capacity: 640.13 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 1 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 1!
Test Time: 00:43:32, December 25, 2010

right-clicking and choosing properties in Data Lifeguard Diagnostic shows Health Status as Good.

also, i tried testing my external HDD (also 6400AAKS, the only difference is this one is green), and it passed a Quick Test, but when i right-click on it in Data Lifeguard Diagnostic and click properties, under Health Status it says Warning.

what do you suggest?

thanks in advance!

can you do a smart test?

does it pass?

can you do a short test?

does it pass?

can you do a long test?

does it pass?

if you can do those and they pass, it doesnt matter if it couldnt in the past, you might have stopped it prematurely, either on purpose or on accident (it was doing an internal test while you were going to reboot, or windows updates wanted to reboot your machine)

when i click on smartinfo, for all categoires there is green check, so i guess i could say it passes the smart.

i downloaded bootable iso version of data lifeguard and ran it from a CD.

i ran quick test first, and it found an error.

it suggested me to run extended test so it could try and fix the errors.

after finishing the extended test, it said that error could not be repaired and gave me an error code 0226.

i referred to wd knowledge database for error 226, and this is what they say:

Failure to relocate a sector during drive repair. The drive has to be replaced.

replace your drive well then :slight_smile: