Is my hard drive defective?

I have a WD Black SN750NVMe drive and I’m not sure if I have a defective drive. Everytime I boot up the computer I get the Checking/ Repairing Disk message on the boot up screen and every time my computer is on I get a message that says Windows has detected a hard disk problem. I don’t want the disk to fail and lose all my information.

Is it being used as a boot device for Windows or is it for storage?
If using it as a second drive for storage you might want to try turning off the Fast Startup. I had a similar incident using an SSD (2.5) to boot up and a second HDD for storage. Soon as I disable Fast Startup no more issues.

How to Turn Off/On Fast Startup I suggest Option One it’s pretty simple.

Get another disk (USB) and use it for backups

Then go look to get a SSD which will be far less problems down the road

Vegan I know you mean well but you just make forums like this less of a resource when you just random advice that is not helping. A response that actually helps would be like this…

I would recommend doing a smartdrive check. And common sense to me would be to keep your data backed up for now (U probably know this!). SSD’s like you have (SN750NVMe) are some times funny. I do not think they test them enough when they produce them. so make sure its good before you go on even with black versions. I have bought many Black editions of SSd and regular Hard drives. I will continue to do so in the hopes they last a bit longer.

The smart checking of the drive is maybe your best advice. You want to watch out for The signs of failure would be the “Reallocated_Sector_Ct” and “Current_Pending_Sector”

I do not use Microsoft but in Linux you can use smarttools and it should give you a good idea. You should be able to download a tool from WD support.

Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostic (DLGDIAG) is a hard drive testing program that can either be run as a standard program from within Windows or put on a flash drive for booting before the computer starts up. Software and Firmware Downloads | WD Support

I sure hope this helps you

1 Like

the reason i suggest a backup is that so many lose everything when something goes wrong

I use Windows, Linux and OS X so I have lots of angles covered in my studio