Is it possible to stream my PC/laptop's screen to my HDMI tv?

Hi guys,

I just got my new WD TV Live, and couldnt find an answer to this question in the FAQ sections nor the forums.

I want to stream my entire screen to the TV screen, so the TV acts as a wireless screen if you know what i mean.

(what i see on the laptop’s screen will appear on the TV screen too)

Is it possible?

I do not quite understand why you need a WD TV Live in all this?

It will be easier to connect the laptop directly to the TV.

1 Like

That’s true. I do not want any cables running from the TV to the laptop/PC… I didnt buy this streamer for this purpose only, but it would be a nice feature (if it’s possible at all).

Try contacting the manufacturer of the laptop or TV.

Maybe it is possible to get rid of the cables.

1 Like

Unfortunately not in this model.

The answer to your question is no.  The SMP will not do that, nor does the SMP act like an extender.

The only possible way to do that, is to buy a wireless HDMI transmitter/reciever like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815306033

Or get an Android set top box, like a Pivos, and use something like TeamViewer app.

1 Like

You can do this to a limited extent using VLC to setup a stream to file and then use a upnp media server to share the file produced from VLC. It works but does have some lag.

1 Like

Bohemus wrote:
You can do this to a limited extent using VLC to setup a stream to file and then use a upnp media server to share the file produced from VLC. It works but does have some lag.

Sounds interesting… 

1. How can i set up a media server? can it be done with VLC or it requires additional software?

2. when you say lag do you mean 1-3 seconds, or something more serious?

Thx!

1. There are several options out there. Windows 7 has one built in that works. There are also lots of free ones available. Try a google search for upnp server or DLNA server.

2. For me it was only a couple of seconds but depends on speed of the computer running VLC, speed of the network etc. Worth a try to see if its usable for your purposes.

1 Like