Is anybody happy with the OS 5 upgrade?

No i`m not happy with it. full of problems and no support from WD.

1 Like

Ok I see that almost nobody is happy with OS5. Me too. Anybody knows if there is a way to go back to OS3?
Thank for your attention

Use the forum search feature, magnifying glass icon upper right. There are several past discussions in the OS5 subforum on how to roll back various My Cloud models to the OS3 firmware.

I updated two months ago. nothing works anymore. I no longer have access to the Cloud. Everything hangs after 5 minutes. It is scandalous the lack of seriousness of WD. It is impossible for me to recover my data on MyCloud. Run away from this update. WD’s maintenance department is not responding or unwilling to respond.

I am very happy with OS5.
Finally cloud access is working. I can invite people to read/write files on their own share. The app is nice. I am glad I made the upgrade from OS3 to 5.

1 Like
1 Like

Some more info:
MyCloud Single Bay
FW
was:02.xx,
is: 5.13.115

huh. . . . a rare success story for the single bay units.

More than a few were bricked by the upgrade process (well; I suspect they were done in by the indexing that comes after the upgrade.

only upgrade if you DONT want to access and copy between folders across multiple shares/users. This was a primary function and for reasons unknown it has been removed

I expected to buy a simple straight forward NAS for safety backups.
No need for the online functionality. I was really surprised the device has no off button.

After the upgrade our MyCloud reports hardware errors.
Reading this forum I realized my experiences with the device are common…

Really regretting the purchase.

Os 5 Trashed two drives, even with the sneaky Microsoft patch. I will not consider buying any WD Cloud products in future.

2 Likes

I am deeply disappointed. After summer I will migrate to Synology.

In the “dashboard”; under “System\utilites”; you will find “Hiberante and Reboot” options.

Hibernate = off.
Reboot = reboot.

Note: If you “Hibernate” and the device remains plugged in; it will power up the next time the power on the source cycles. (i.e power dip or power failure)

(and yes. . .this does seem rather odd)

I’m also never going to buy any WD products in the future.

2 Likes

I recently upgraded to OS5 from 3 and have some concerns / questions.

From what I can see:

• To access my data via the OS app it is now via a cloud type server? With OS3 I seem to remember having local access via wifi, then if I was via internet (off wifi / away from the house), I could logon the the hard drive direct.

• if I want to backup my phone, again I am via a cloud server and could potentially need to pay for data?

Not sure if I have this correct, but reading the above posts there is mention of:

• now giving WD access to data.
  • and potential increased security risk etc.

The reason I purchased the drive in the first place was to have local storage of my data, otherwise I would use a cloud service.

With that in mind I have not read the T&C’s and have no idea what I have agreed to and where my data may be.

Any input would be appreciated to help me understand.

On a final note I am seriously thinking of going with a different solution, and before I do I would like to know where my data may be

It’s been a while since I posted here but my OS 5 upgrade has been relatively painless. Since doing the initial upgrade, the My Cloud NAS has updated itself 3, maybe 4 times. I also have “GoodSync” up and running on a couple of different systems and it seems to be working ok.

My “pain points”:

• Getting the home directory location for a given user for the “GoodSync for NAS” setup was an absolute P I T A! It was far more complicated to get the information I needed than it really needed to be. Once I got the information, everything else pretty much worked with regard to getting “GoodSync for NAS” setup to allow remote connections.

• The inability to copy/move files between shares is stupid. I think I can work around that with “GoodSync”, but still. For machines locally connected to the NAS, it’s easy to move files around using the local file manager.

What concerns me now is how to best recover from the My Cloud NAS not starting, now that it has OS 5 installed. With the previous firmware, I was able to download an image I could use to restore a “base” system I could rebuild. I don’t know if that exists for OS 5.

In any event, I’m pretty much up and running now and don’t have any major complaints. I’m not sure if I’m “happy” but I’m currently not frustrated or upset. :slight_smile:

Peace…

I’ve updated two single bay second gen MyClouds. After the initial 24-48 hours to index and generate previews, it’s actually working pretty well. Remote access seems more reliable than the old OS3 setup. Can’t speak to any security/privacy issues but, given WDs recent credibility issues (MyBook, MyCloud, SMR, etc), I suspect they’re paying a little more attention to this than before.

Oh, I’m still pissed off about my gen 1 MyCloud, my gen 1 MyCloud Mirror and my two EX2s! I tossed them and went with Synology!

utter junk

I have 2 EX2 Ultras; and a single bay Gen 1 Mycloud. I had OS/5 on one device; which was rolled BACK to OS/3 a year ago.

• For base functionality, OS/5 resolves a number of “bugs” relative to OS/3.

• Finally - - - device showed up properly in FileExplorer (consistently)
    • Does NOT autoindex drives upon insertion
  • The OS/5 web apps definately more reliable than OS/3 apps

• The OS/5 “app” functionality is more reliable but several important functions have been removed; or were never included. There has been no improvement in the functionality; nor acknowledgement of “this could be so much better”

• ability to access multiple shares;
    • ability to access multiple devices;
    • COPY;
    • folder downloads
  • The OS5 iphone downloads was cool. . .but the functionality was odd enough to actually make it useless. There has been no improvement in the functionality; nor acknowledgement of “this could be so much better”

• Lack of Sleep was never resolved.

• While “security bugs” may have been squashed; privacy concerns were never really addressed.

• The device seemed very noisy on the net. (phones somewhere far too often)
    • The drama over internal HTTPS redirect (using an external DDNS function).
    • It always felt like there was an “endgame” with the grossly inefficient indexing process. I was guessing (with no basis in fact) that much of the design was to facilite integration with the subscription EdgeRover service - - which was less than successful.

Now; I am not thrilled with the performance of the 1st gen MyCloud (it’s old). The OS/3 software is very suspect from a security viewpoint. . . . but overall. . .the stuff is good enogh for me; and I take precautions. (The OS/3 units reside on an isolated dedicated network with no web connectivity)

Pretty good summary. I hadn’t noticed the lack of a Sleep function under OS5 - I’ll have to pay more attention!