Big mistake to upgrade to OS 5

@doumeng77731, Your Smart TV may require a DLNA server to be installed. You can refer to the following KBA:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29630/kw/os%205

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29985/kw/os%205

Hello jchen,
i have installed now Twonky and the problem is solved, thanks for your answer

48h afert update. 2 restarts, Indexing reezes when it reaches 45%…

WD Stuf I expect you to give me a real solution to the problem and not default answers!!!

1 Like

Is there a way to revert back to previous garbage OS5?

@jchen I have the same issue.

1 Like

hahaha!
Good joke!

They are not software developers - they build hardware.

Right, which new hardware products (NAS) have they released in last 5 years?

I am so happy I saw this post and did not do the upgrade. Just got 2 new ex2 ultra for nas devices for my private network. Both are going back within the next 14 days unless they fix this. I bought a my home thinking it was going to be like the my cloud. I hated the my home software when I tested and returned it. If I would known they were going to do the same thing to the ex2 I would of never bought them. If i would of upgraded to OS5 I would of been in the same boat. I bought it because I want to manage it my self just like with the previous devices and not go through a website to access. What if the internet goes down. Just sit here twitting my thumbs. No. I bought this for a nas because 1) I love my old mycloud and 2) the price. I could of spent 20 bucks more and got a synology DiskStation DS220j and 2 4tb drives. I was loyal to wd but unless they fix this I will never by another wd product.

1 Like

A fair point.

Well. . .in the last year. . .WD had the SMR drive debacle; which resulted in the “Red Plus” and “Red Pro” product lines. So there is that.

But frankly. . . how much new hardware do you need for a NAS? Frankly - - - the hardware that is in place NOW is pretty much “good enough”. If you crank up the CPU or RAM in these devices further. . . my view is that you may as well go a head and buy an I5 desktop and use it as a server :wink:

So in the NAS game. . .I think at this point it is ALL about the software. . . . which to be blunt has some serious issues.

WD’s flagship product PR4100 has internals similar to Synology 916. While Synology has introduced 918 and 920 and 922 next year, WD hasn’t refreshed its product lineup since PR4100. While I personally like build quality of WD over Synology, incremental updates to their product lineup do tilt the balance towards Synology. I see a lot of cost comparisons, WD’s 30% cheaper than Synology. Correct comparison would be PR4100 against DS916 (if you can find any).

Synology’s OS is obviously generations ahead of OS3 even before WD shot itself in the foot (and all its customers) with OS5. There’s something called beta testing, and no it doesn’t mean release a half-baked product to users and then grapple with the fallout, if that’s WD’s definition. At least Synology is taking its fair time with DSM7 testing before release.

Back to the original premise, if WD isn’t focused on new product/refreshes and given the legendary OS5 ■■■■-up, question is what are they really doing? Or have they simply outsourced their engineering teams to the cheapest service providers and mistaken technical support for actual development?

Is JOBD supported by OS5? I hade OS3 and it worked fine, after the upgrade no volumes are configured anymore, so I don’t access anymore my data!!! How such thing can be possible? And from the panel I don’t see JOBD option. I suppose and hope that my data are still in the disk because I dind’t recreated any RAID volume after the OS5 upgrade!

@lballetta yes JBOD is supported in My Cloud OS 5.
Are the drives used, shipped with the My Cloud EX2 Ultra or were they sourced from a different NAS and inserted into the My Cloud?

Either way, please collect the system logs, send to support and let me know your case number.

I bought a new WD NAS without disks.
I inserted the WD disks into it.
I setup by panel though the wizard of the OS3 application, and everything worked fine.
I used the NAS from Windows 10 and also moved some data into it.
After all this, I upgraded the firmware.
It worked fine and the OS3 still worked fine.
After I tried to discover the App mobile usage, and it was asked to upgrade to OS5.
I logged in the OS3 My cloud Panel, and clicked into the OS5 upgrade.
It was successful.
I’ve immediately seen the Volumes as not anymore configured.
From there here to search a resolution, but I see a lot of customer claims.
Even if I would create a Volume the panel as you can see doesn’t show the JOBD or Spinning options.

Ok so your existing Disk were not formatted inside of the My Cloud which means the swap space is probably smaller than 2 GB. My Cloud OS 5 does not support < 2 GB swap space. You can verify by enabling ssh and running the following command.

cat /proc/partitions |grep sd*

If the swap space on your drive is < 2 GB, the following article includes the solution.

At any case, collect the system logs, send to support and let me know the case number.

Unfortunately, it didn’t worked.
Which logs? /var/logs?

My question is: why cannot read the volumes like in the OS3 version? How much costs to support this retro compatible volume reliability of OS3?

Regards,
Luca

Please send the system logs to support and let me know the case number

Now they are urging every OS3 user to upgrade to OS5:

At this time, we recommend you disconnect your My Book Live and My Book Live Duo from the Internet to protect your data on the device.
We have heard customer concerns that the current My Cloud OS 5 and My Cloud Home series of devices may be affected. These devices use a newer security architecture and are not affected by the vulnerabilities used in this attack. We recommend that eligible My Cloud OS 3 users upgrade to OS 5 to continue to receive security updates for your device.

https://www.westerndigital.com/support/productsecurity/wdc-21008-recommended-security-measures-wd-mybooklive-wd-mybookliveduo

Well OF COURSE they are recommending upgrading to OS/5.

• OS3 is “end of life”.

• WD has stopped maintaining OS3 just like they stopped upgrading whatever firmware the MyBookLive operates on. OS3 will suffer the same fate as the MyBookLive.

• Every product that runs OS3 either itself “end of life”; or has an upgrade path to OS5.

• OS5 is consistent with the direction WD is taking their NAS product line. More connectivity, with likely tie-ins to the “edge rover” subscription functionality. (Keyword: Subscription). SO OF COURSE, they want you to upgrade

So - - - the real issue is not “Is OS3 over”; the question is “With what are you are you replacing OS3?”.
OS5 is the “default choice”; however, just like PC and IOS privacy settings. . . . .the “default choice” is not necessarily the best choice.

(technology moves on. . . I no longer have CRT monitors. My keyboard/mice used to be wired. . .then wirelessDongle. . . now Bluetooth. My external storage devices used to be HDDs)

Well I followed the advice and upgraded my Gen 2 MyCloud devices and now they are unstable and crashing constantly. How is it so difficult to put up some firmware that is reliable given WD is in control of the hardware?

I think I’m just going to shuck all these devices and put in a real NAS.

Anyone know what drives are inside?

“how is it so difficult to put up some firmware that is reliable”

ANSWER : it is not easy

( on my testing of OS5 ex2 ultra- I decided to backup and remove my data)
did the firmware update and then put back the shares one at a time over a few days.
This was before we could adjust indexing

Some times the microcode needs more space and a much faster CPU