Iplayer support really dropped?

Hello,

Can someone from wd confirm that iplayer will no longer be usable with the wd tv play please?

Thanks

Brian

Since there hasn’t been any changes in the firmware, then support for iPlayer would not have been just dropped by us. 

Was it working before?

Have you checked with BBC if there have been any outages?

Also, have you tried a device reset, to make sure something internally didn’t get messed up?

Hello Bill,

I agree no firmware updates but there are a number of threads about iplayer not working at present? I have reset my box but no different, so what’s going on?

I wouldn’t know unless something changed with the service itself.  I did see where BBC is thinking to go to a full paid service.  If that’s the case, then maybe their api’s have changed.  I will pass this along and have someone check up on it with you.  However, because we haven’t made any changes, then there may not be anything we can do about it, especially since this is a legacy product.  Nevertheless, someone should be in touch with you by Monday.

The message that comes up states that iPlayer doesn’t support this device.

According to BBC’s website, only the WDTV Live models are supported.

Given this, how has the WDTV Play *ever* worked with iPlayer?

Vic

Monday has been and gone and no reply…

Actually, we’re already taking care of it.

Can you please clarify what “taking care of it” means, in this case? And an ETA?

Are you 100% going to restore iPlayer functionality to the Play? I am on the verge of returning this box to WD if it’s not going to be usable as an iPlayer box, which is the only reason I bought this device at all.

Thank you.

Hi Bill,

So far you’ve said:

“Someone should be in touch with you by Monday.”

That was over a week ago.

Now you say:

“Actually, we’re already taking care of it.”

Please can you explain this. While I appreciate this is an eol product, many of us have bought a WDTV Play within the past few months.

The message I get from BBC iPlayer is:

"Sorry we do not support your device. Please see the following page for other way to access iPlayer:

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/ways_to_get_iplayer"

Given this, is WD working with the BBC to allow us to access iPlayer on a WDTV Play? Is that what your “we’re already taking care of it” means.

Vic

When I wrote the posts above, I was talking to and about Bpascua.  He has been taked care of.  viclen you never mentioned you were having issues yourself.  If you want help, you need to contact support.

Below is the contact information for WD’s Support. You can contact them either by phone or email.

Contact WD
http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp?lang=en

Apologies! I didn’t realise a solution would be so private.

Thanks for your help.

Vic

Contacted WD. So far I’ve been given a solution for a WD TV Live (even though I made it clear I have a Play) and have now received two more emails telling me the problem’s being looked into.

Bill - I thought you said there was a known solution?

Vic

Hello
Newbie here - joined to find out why my 6 month old WD TV play doesn’t stream Iplayer anymore? Wil watch this forum with interest!

From threads it seems it is a known problem so seems little point in my contacting WD? However, also worried that upgrading my Firmware might lose Netflix - as I gather that later models are not supported?

Anyone any thoughts on this?

For Info My WD TV play info is
Firmware 1.05.47
Part no WDBHZM0000NBK
Serial [Deleted]

There have been no alerts reported on the box

Thanks in anticipation!
Simon

Update

Have had speedy response from WD tech support indicating that the ‘problem’ has been sent up the hierachy for consideration!  Here’s hoping!

Meanwhile they have offered me another model WD TV ? for Iplayer use which they claim has Netflix!  I’ve searched elsewhere on this useful forum and fear I may be disappointed on that but hey nice of them to offer!

Currently reverted to watching Iplayer on Wii !!!

S

Update 2

Success - sort of!

Very prompt response and E-mail dialogue with WD Support.

A WD TV Live unit has been sent as replacement for the WD Play.

Doesn’t help with the on going problem with the Play but very impressed with WD support!

S

Nomissr wrote:

Update 2

Success - sort of!

Very prompt response and E-mail dialogue with WD Support.

A WD TV Live unit has been sent as replacement for the WD Play.

Doesn’t help with the on going problem with the Play but very impressed with WD support!

S

Wait wait… you have simply contact the support speaking about this wd tv play it’s a cheap and wd support have sent a wd tv live for replacement ??

Hi DJ!

Yes - now can stream Iplayer and Netflix which was original plan!

Was pleasantly surprised by WD support - having read other less satisfied member’s posts!

NB Other facilities on the WD live look impressive but sadly it seemd that the apps were loaded during a firmware update and reading the posts about the ‘live’ it seems the latest firmware was a bit of a step backwards…

I can see all the content on my PC network but none will play thru the ‘Live’.  However I am reluctant to downgrade in case IPlayer or Netflix disappear!

Cheers

Nomissr wrote:

Hi DJ!

Yes - now can stream Iplayer and Netflix which was original plan!

Was pleasantly surprised by WD support - having read other less satisfied member’s posts!

NB Other facilities on the WD live look impressive but sadly it seemd that the apps were loaded during a firmware update and reading the posts about the ‘live’ it seems the latest firmware was a bit of a step backwards…

I can see all the content on my PC network but none will play thru the ‘Live’.  However I am reluctant to downgrade in case IPlayer or Netflix disappear!

Cheers

Interesting… i also contact the Italian WD Supports because in recent time i also found some file mp4/mkv appears not supported on my wd tv play (with profile HIGH@L4.1 appears compatible on here)…

I also ask if it’s possible to obtain a different product…