Internal Backup Issue

Hi,

Just bought myself a WD My Cloud EX2 to backup files from my local drives. However I’m having issues setting up the backup. Please help.

I’m trying to make backups from my local C drive to my EX2.

When creating a backup job under “Internal backups” and selecting “Source Folder” I only get the option to pick folders on my cloud. So basically I only have the option to backup folders on my cloud to my cloud which doesent make eny sense to me.

Thanks

Any ideas what the problem is?

Is it not possible to auto backup folders on my local C drive to the NAS?

The “Internal Backups” function only lets me backup folders on the NAS to the NAS… which dosen’t make much sense to me. Why would you backup files on a RAID1 setup? That would give me 4 copies of the same file on the NAS

Hi ishii,

I think that if you need a bckp from your local C: (or other) hd to EX2 , you may use the WD Smartware software.

You can download it (and install it on your PC) at WD Support /Download

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?wdc_lang=en&fid=wdsfMyCloud_EX2

You can find there also the user manual for it.

The Backup “tab” in dashboard is only to backup EX2 to/from external USB disk connected to EX2 USB port, or to/from another EX2/4 on the network, etc., but not from/to PC partition/HD.

Regards

1 Like

Thanks Paulus : )

That is making more sense to me now.

Appreciate the quick feedback.

Thanks again

This is not correct:

“The Backup “tab” in dashboard is only to backup EX2 to/from external USB disk connected to EX2 USB port, or to/from another EX2/4 on the network, etc., but not from/to PC partition/HD.”

The Internal Backup only allows you to backup from a share on a NAS drive to the a share on the same NAS drive. It does not allow you to backup from a share on the NAS drive to s share on a USB drive. I have tested this issue.

Unfortunately the Internal Backup feature is useless.

The USB Backup feature is not reliable and does not allow to schedule backups.

I believe there is room for improvement on the backup features of this NAS drive.

It is not useless. Just imagine that you have a syncronized folder and you modify the file on the wrong way. This file will be syncronized directly and you have no way to recover it. Or think about an encryption virus. All your data would be lost without a hard, non-syncronized copy.