Interface wdtv live hub on a wdtv live hd

I realy like my wdtv live, BUT

i do not like the interface.

I like the interface of the new wdtv live hub!

So the question is: Is there any why i can get the new interface on my old wdtv live hd!!!

Nope!

[deleted]! Why not?!

(Plex or xbmc mayby?)

Because the code for one set of hardware isn’t the same as the code for another set of hardware?

The Live/Live Plus code would have to be completely re-written to make it look/act like the Live Hub.

realm360 wrote:

[deleted]! Why not?!

(Plex or xbmc mayby?)

XBMC has already been discussed and ruled out.  The Live units don’t have conventional PC hardware, so x86 software like XBMC, Plex or Boxee simply won’t run.

You can create a thread in the Ideas forum requesting that the Hub UI be ported to the Live / Live Plus.  The hardware isn’t so dissimilar between the 3.

Probably get quite a few votes.

Not sure that WD will do it but, if there’s enough demand, it’s not entirely out of the question…

This will never happen. The main selling point for many people is the improved interface, unless an overpriced 1TB drive moves you.  They aren’t going to offer the more attractive interface for the lower priced players.

I thought I read that the Live Plus shares the same chip as the Hub and that HUB UI can be run on the Live Plus if WD really wanted to allow you to.

Same processor, yes, and unified code base, but different hardware.

It’s not a simple matter of installing the Hub FW on a Plus.  It’s a matter of re-writing the Plus FW, based on the unified code base, to make it look like a Hub.

The way things invariably go wrong when WD starts to tinker around, I’d think fixing the major existing bugs would be far higher on the priority chain than re-writing the UI from scratch to make it look prettier.

And, without a permanent place to store the metadata, you’re asking for tons of headaches/problems trying to go down the road of “well, if it’s USB, store it there; if it’s Net Share, store it there; if it’s Server, then SOL…”

whatevs wrote:

This will never happen. The main selling point for many people is the improved interface, unless an overpriced 1TB drive moves you.  They aren’t going to offer the more attractive interface for the lower priced players.

WD TV Live Plus - $99

WD Scorpio Blue 1TB 2.5" HDD - $118

Total - $217

Hub is cheaper.

There’s no specific reason WD won’t port the Hub UI to the Live and Plus.  They’re still actively supported units; the recent addition of new online services proves this (most of which are from the Hub and would be considered its selling points).  

If there’s enough community demand, WD will consider it (which was the case with DVD menus).