Installation - why cant you connect player directly into computer via ethernet?

HDTV + - It’s fine if I go HDMI to TV, player ethernet to router.

But no joy if I go ethernet to computer, computer communicating wifi with router in different room?

Just wondered.

Tech support just say you cant do it?

Technically, you CAN do that, but you’d better be good at configuring networks on your PC to make your PC work in that mode.

Hey - thanks a bunch. I dont think I’ll fool with my computer then. I’m setting up the WDTV for the 1st time.

So, if I dont need portability with my files, I don’t need one of those passport/book things?

Is it most convenient then to just move my router from upstairs? 

Well, you’ve got options:

You can use a USB External Disk.   No need for network then.

You can use a USB WiFi adapter.   No need to relocate router.

You can use an Ethernet / Wireless BRIDGE.  No need to relocate router.

… or you can relocate your router. :slight_smile:

Grrr. The plot thickens. Now the senior tech support guy says my router (Verizon, I have FIOS) does not support WDTV and i have to get another router

ph3iron wrote:

HDTV + - It’s fine if I go HDMI to TV, player ethernet to router.

But no joy if I go ethernet to computer, computer communicating wifi with router in different room?

Just wondered.

Tech support just say you cant do it?

I’ve got mine connected like that.

Here’s how I’ve got mine connected:

The WDTV Live is connected to my desktop machine running XP via the Ethernet port using a crossover cable, I’ve got an wi-fi card in that machine and I have bridged the Ethernet port and the wi-fi adapter to give the WDTV Live network connectivity. The desktop and WDTV Live connect wirelessly to the router in the other room which is connected to a XP desktop machine and the network shares are enabled so I can see both machines.

Here’s how i have it bridged.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5034572.html

ph3iron wrote:

Grrr. The plot thickens. Now the senior tech support guy says my router (Verizon, I have FIOS) does not support WDTV and i have to get another router

That’s total and utter nonsense.  I have FiOS and the Verizon-provided ActionTec router.   It works PERFECTLY WELL.

Now, I wasn’t party to the conversation, so I don’t know under what context he or she made that statement, but I’m guessing what he should have said was “We haven’t tested that router, so we can’t say whether it will work or not.”  But, that’s tech support for you!   It’s disturbing, though, that a “SENIOR” tech support guy wouldn’t know better…

Thanks to all - I provided a bit of misinformation at the beginning - I thought I could get my folders with the router but this was not true.

Here is the deal - FIOS comes in to the router (Actiontec). Ethernet from router to WDTV.  HDMI from WDTV to TV.

New Win 7 wireless laptop sitting 3’ from everything.

So it looks like I get Netflix, UTube ok. WDTV test says i’m connected fine.

So when I get to the video with my folders I get ‘no media in folder’

I have activated sharing on the folders but just realised I’d better check that the PC-pgh which comes up is actually where the folders are. 

Thanks to all again - they actually sent me a list of acceptable routers and Verizon isnt on it!!!

I’m confused… :slight_smile:  Does that mean you’re all up and working now?

Apologies - no still cant see my files.

utbe, netflix etc ok

I did notice on the ‘video’ there was 2 different tv screens - one said Pete-pc:pete: and the other pgh-pc:pgh:.

In the pgh-pc:pgh: — no media

In the pete-pc:pete: - 8 susbsections - video, genres etc - none of my stuff but a sample ‘landscapes’ comes up and plays 

Did a bit more looking - in file management there they both are. If I click either  I get ‘invalid user name or password’ click ok - 'account - anonymous … 

OOOH!  From the look of the names, You’re using MEDIA SERVER option.

I think you want NETWORK SHARE option, right?

If you ARE wishing to use the built-in Media Server, be aware that it doesn’t support some file types, and thus they will not show up.

Thanks again - yup - I am going through the media server. I saw the video film ‘icon’ and thought thats where you viewed them

I see in network settings share WDTV on your net -ON

auto login to net share - ON

so how do you get to/view my darn folders? 

First things first. 

When you select NETWORK SHARES, do you see the computer name that has your media listed?  If so, what happens when you select the computer?

It show 2 - pgh-pc and pete-pc

on either I get "invalid user name or password

then if I click ok I get the

account - anonymous

password - blank 

Check section 2B of the FAQ.

Man - sorry to give you such a hard time but 2B as far as I can see

1 tells you I have a ‘non acceptable router’ - i’ve got the FIOS as you - thats what got me started!

2 On the network connection  - went through it all - network setup completed  -got a check

As did the network check on the main menu - says the network connection check passed

3 Went through the sharing advice - I did all the advanced checks etc before

Anyway - during all this I deleted all my folders and will re-install tomorrow and get back.

Again apologies for putting you through all this - until now I thought i was reasonably savvy - p.

Ok, you’re confusing me.   What about 2B of the FAQ suggests that you have an “Non-acceptable router?”  

There’s nothing to do with the router when trying to use local files.   Heck, you don’t even have to HAVE a router unless you want to use the internet features.

The biggest culprit for the “Incorrect User ID or Password” issue is the “Windows Live Sign-In Assistant” software (and some other Microsoft Live components) that get installed during a Windows Update.  But if you don’t have it, something else is going on.

Don’t worry about putting us through this…  That’s what we’re here for. :wink:

The first ref - devices that are compatible (Verizon routers are not on the list)- this is the ref the tech service people sent me.

Anyway this is a new computer Win 7 and I deleted the Windows sign in deal.

The other 2 i got from the knowledge base refs.

Still no joy though - Should I be able to access the downloads on my computer via the ‘video’ icon?.

Right now I dont want to view stuff on the internet. 

I think you read section 1B, not 2B.

Well, day 3, hopefully not the last hurrah.

So here is the set up.

FIOS Actiontec router.

Brand new Toshiba L675, Win 7 wifi/also ethernet

Lap top connected to a router 2’ away.

Router connected to WDTV+ ethernet

WDTV goes to tv - HDMI

I read all the ‘sharing and log in issues’

WDTV says

I’m connected to the network

UTube and Netflix are fine.

"File management shows no folders

Video server recognises Pete-pc - when clicked says it cant connect.

I deleted all my previous files and reinstalled them.

I can watch any of 'em if I HDMI them into the tv.

I’ve shared everything in sight (advanced, permissions etc) with everyone I can find

I deleted the win sign in assistant

But as you said - if I just want to watch files from my hard drive, why should I need a router at all?

I even went to the Verizon store to check the “Verizon router not authorised” theory but its a bit of a hassle to get a D-link.