Initial SHOCK of slow transfer - help is appreciated

So I’ve got the WD Mycloud - I’ve got some initial data on there (let’s say like 150gb). Almost all pictures and few short video files.

I am experiencing general “slowness” during transfer speeds and am generally overwhelmed with what to do about it. By profression I am a software engineer so I am no stranger to advanced troubleshooting and that sorta thing. (Really I can just withstand long monotonous periods of trial and error!).

So - things I’ve casually been looking at… I’ve tried to ensure I have a true 1000mbps link coming from my laptop… my network card shows it can support 1000, but I only seem to be getting 100mbps when I take a look in Task Manager. Well I’ve solved the 1000/laptop issue - I just needed to get rid of my VoiP phone from between my laptop/router! Additionally, I’ve looked into ensuring my router can give me 1000mbps - I have a Motorola Surfboard sbg6580 - so maybe I need to upgrade my router (or get a fast switch??).

I’ve been trying to find some general “this is how to make the MyCloud not **bleep**” guides, and I haven’t yet found one that is completely all-enclusive enough for me. This one seems good ( http://www.realact.net/?p=799),,) but I get stuck on the static IP portion of it regarding my router (I’m a Dev not a Network Admin!).

So, I guess I really am just looking for some handholding at this point… Would love for someone to just rattle off some questions (simple ones please!) and I’ll try my best to investigate the things I need to in order to get my LAN and my NAS to be up to par enough to not **bleep**! :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance.

Are you using all the Help information that is provided with the My Cloud? Have you visited the Learning Center? Have you used the Use Manual? Have you visited the Support page?

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

Hi,

I have expiernced similar slow transfers. I noticed quiting the quick view solved partialy this issue. Also service UPNP was disabled. I went from about 500k to 80 Mb per second.  Also temporary quiting the symantec firewall gave some 

I removed the automatic strad up of WD quick view and it seems to be OK now.

But I’m not really convinced that I solved all issues.  Read my other posts on this subject.

regards,

Just

Well here is where I am at now…  

So I bought an external HD to plug into the usb port on the back of the MyCloud for the purpose of automated backups from the MyCloud to the Externer HD. I went in on the MyCloud dashboard to perform the first backup (I created a SafePoint or whatever it is called on there) and noticed how slow that was going.  So about after 25% completion I decided to cancel the SafePoint backup. I knew a cancel might not be the best thing to do, but with something as simple as a backup I was way too impatient to wait as long as it seemed it would take (all day?!).

Ever since I cancelled that safepoint backup I have NOT been able to access the MyCloud Dashboard, use the WD My Cloud desktop app to access my shares, or use the online wd2go portal to access my shares either… no idea why.

On the contrary, and JustM it’s funny that you mentioned your dealings with the quick view, because I then installed the quick view and through it I am able to gain access to my shares! AND after getting my true 1gigabit link to work from laptop they are super fast!

So, at this point I really would like to fix the dashboard… Then it’s probably time to tackle to more items on my list: figure out a network solution for faster access on other devices (switch/router upgrade?!) and figure out a better way to automate my backups (I might just end up writing my own scripts or .NET program to backup the things I need for work from my laptop and see if I can’t automate backups from the MyCloud to the External HD Share via a similar script).

spencore wrote:
[…] but I get stuck on the static IP portion of it regarding my router (I’m a Dev not a Network Admin!).

[…]

This is one is quite easy in fact. The easiest way to set up your NAS with a static IP address is to use the UI of your router, and leave the default settings on the NAS UI. You can also change the settings on the NAS UI, but if you make a mistake here and lose connection with your NAS, you will be in more trouble than necessary.

Go to the admin UI of your router. Look under DHCP settings. You should see there or around there some way of setting a IP reservation or fixed IP option for certain MAC addresses. The UI is different in each brand, but it is about the same:

• set up the range of your DHCP server to, for example 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.50 (typically the 192.168.1.1 is for the router itself,

• look for a way to enter a fixed IP address for the MAC of your NAS (some routers will list the MAC addresses of the devices and their network names in a dropdown list to make it easy). Pick an address that is outside the range of the DCHP server you set up in the previous step. Normally, you sholdn’t need to do this, but it appears necessary for certain (older?) routers.

• reboot your NAS and verifies it has now the fixed IP address. Your desktop/browser shortcuts to the NAS UI might have to be updated. You might have to reregister your devices for external access.

Thanks for the instructions. I do have to ask though… and maybe this is an obvious answer… but why would I want to give the NAS a static IP?

windows is not always good at resloving names. it is much better (stable/reliable) to give shared network devices such as printers & NAS devices static IP addresses then use that IP address to access the device

just be sure the static IP is on the same subnet and out of the routers DHCP pool

larryg0 wrote:

windows is not always good at resloving names. it is much better (stable/reliable) to give shared network devices such as printers & NAS devices static IP addresses then use that IP address to access the device

just be sure the static IP is on the same subnet and out of the routers DHCP pool

I am comprehending what you mean about just about everything you said… but I don’t necessarily know how to do all of that. You know that subreddit called “Explain like I’m Five?” … could you do that, at least partially with advice please? I would be very greatful.

You can find the information in your router. Open it up and you will probable have to look in the Advanced settings to find the information. See example image below.

See the User Manual, P. 81 Changing Network Mode from DHCP to Static.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

Okay, sure I can easily find those settings for my router. But I still don’t really understand what values I would actually end up providing for the MyCloud AND for my router. 

So, looking at pg. 81 in the User Manual I see the follow parameters…

IP Address - so, in my router settings I should reserve an IP address that is associated with the MyCloud’s MAC address… I get to specify my own IP address (within a given range) for this, correct?

Netmask - In my router I see “Subnet Mask” … is this the same thing? I just see values of 255.255.255.000 listed for every device that the router “sees”.  What do I need to put into the MyCloud Netmask parameter?

Gateway and DNS Server - The manual says I need to supply these parameters or else I’ll lose access to the LAN. Where do I get these values? Is this related to DDNS in my router settings?

in the example above you could use any IP in the 192.168.1.x range except the routers (192.168.1.1) and the DHCP range of 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.149

each device needs its own IP so if anything else is set to statice don’t use those either

in Windows the easyist way to get the other parameters is to open a command prompt and enter ipconfig /all and it will give you all the other parameters.

A subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 is the most common on home LANs but use whatever ipconfig gives you. this net mask just means all devices on your LAN need to match the 1st 3 numbers and be different on the last number