If I delete files from MyCloud but NOT my computer, will MyCloud grab them again?

I could not update to the latest firmware and had to do a factory reset. I now have v04.05.00-315 and I run Windows 10. Before running my first backup I cleaned my computer so I’d have a tidy copy of it. So I ran my backup. We’re good far, right?

Then I read I can upload photos and music from my iPhone and iPad so I did it. 3.9G of photos from my iPhone are in their own sweet folder on MyCloud. PROBLEM: The majority of those photos are already on MyCloud in multiple folders and I don’t want so many duplicates. Up to 5-6 duplicates.

I now have a duplicate cleaner. Should I run it on my computer first? I actually worked several hours last night clearing duplicates from MyCloud and I’m afraid I wasted a lot of time.

I would be most grateful for your advice.

How are you backing-up your files? Some automatic backup programs do not keep a log of manually-deleted files because as a backup (A secondary copy), they expect for those files to be present at all times in case the source is no longer available.

1 Like

You need to learn about the different ways a backup program can behave, and how to make it work the way you want to. The most common methods are non-mirroring backup, mirror backup and file sync. Arguably, sync is not a backup,

Non-mirror backup simply finds any new files on the data master, and copies them to the data backup. If files are deleted on the data master, no changes are made to the backup; the deleted file remains present on the backup.

Mirror backup duplicates any changes made to the data master on the data backup; new files on the master will be added to the backup, and files deleted on the master will be deleted from the backup. If you delete files only from the backup, and run the mirror backup again, the files you deleted will be copied to the backup (since they are still present on the data master).

Then there is version management backup, which is like a mirror backup, with the addition of maintaining a number of previous versions of a file on the backup device (e.g. Windows File History).

File sync is intended to make sure that files on peer devices are the same at each end; this can be useful in collaborative environments, or if you want to make changes from more than one machine, but have those changes echoed over to the other machine. Strictly, file sync is not a backup method.

You need to decide where the data master is, and where the data backup is. Uusually, the data master is the device on which files are generated, so normally, it will be your PC. However, you may run utilities that save files direct to the MyCloud (e.g. this like Transmission or get_iplayer, that download media).

If you use your MyCloud as both a backup device and a master device, you will need to decide how to perform the appropriate backup, and where to back it up to.

I have personal files (designs, documents, etc) on my main desktop PC. These are also synchronised on the MyCloud, so I can change files using any of my devices, and have them sync back to the Desktop.
I have music media on my MyCloud, that I can access via many different devices. These are mirrored to a USB HDD.
I have video media on my MyCloud, transferred from a Humax, or downloaded from get_iPlayer. I do not back these up.
I have photo media on my MyCloud, transferred from digital camera (by memory card), or uploaded automatically by the MyCloud Android Mobile app. These are mirrored to a USB HDD.

I use FreeFileSync to perform my backup and sync operations, using one control script; FFS can be configured in a very granular manner, selecting directories, and the backup method to use, and where the backup/sync should go.

Since your iPhone and iPad photos are automatically loaded to the MyCloud, I would suggest that is your data master for those photos; use your PC as the backup device. For all other photos, those that are loaded onto the PC, or any other files where the PC is used to create them, or import them or download them, define the PC as the data master, and the MyCloud as data backup. Then find a backup tool, and set it up appropriately. It does require some thought and care to set up, and you need to remember what is master data and what is backup (directory names can help here…), but, once you have a system worked out, it will make your life easier, and your data more secure.

1 Like

Thank you both for your responses. I’ve been thinking of MyCloud as a backup. It is set for continuous backup. I also have a Seagate that I use as a backup by manually copying new files as a dump… I also have many sources, as do you @Trancer. Over many years they have changed from syncs to Dropbox, uploads from SLR cameras, scans, etc. Recently, Dropbox stopped uploading automatically from my iphone (new phone) but not my ipad. I’m sure it’s in settings but I just try to work with whatever is happening. They keep changing and I’m not tech enough to determine why, or maybe not inflexible enough to refuse to adapt.

My PC is my master device. My Seagate is a dump. I just copy documents and photo’s manually (from my PC) by date created. I like to keep MyCloud tidy for access when I’m away from home, but of course it has already copied photos before I can cull them or move them to my preferred file structure (as does Dropbox).

I had used all the storage in MyCloud with multiple copies of the same files! Now, I have 1.7 terabytes available.

So I’m back to my question. " If I delete files from MyCloud but NOT my computer, will MyCloud grab them again?" I think - under current settings - the answer is yes. I think if I delete a file from my PC it is still stored on MyCloud unless I also delete it from my PC first… Extra work. Dropbox is the only sync I know I have, and I use it for active work. Photos excluded.

Do I need to change MyCloud (continuous backup) settings or just stop worrying about it? I can confuse myself and other folks in a heartbeat. I hope I’m making sense!

You need to sort out duplicates in your data master. Otherwise, your data backup will simply keep copying the duplicates, however many times you delete them from the backup.

Duplicates usually arise because of the lack of a consistent system for loading data onto a data master (E.g. a memory card from a camera keeps getting loaded, but into a different directory each time). You need to figure out a system to prevent that happening, a system that works for you.

BTW, there are tools available to help find duplicate files, provided they are simple copies, and haven’t been processed in some way.

Thanks, @cpt_paranoia. I purchased Duplicate Cleaner Pro and will use it on my PC. Then I’ll delete the duplicates from MyCloud using the same searches. Updates don’t cause me heartburn. :smile: but I don’t need six copies of the same photo or music file.

Speaking of music files - iTunes! I didn’t realize it actually creates a copy of music into it’s own folder and my music files are MASSIVE (225 gigabytes)! That will have to be the next decision. I think three copies (PC, Seagate, MyCloud) should be enough!.

Music: look at MediaMonkey or MusicBee as replacement for iTunes.

225GB is a small music library…

Deleting backup copies: if you sort out the master, and use a mirror backup, the mirroring should automatically delete the backup duplicates.

Thank you for your advice. Your reminder that I have to choose a Master device will guide my use of backups in the future.and even relieves my anxiety over duplicates.