I need a no-nonsense opinion of this product

I’m looking at this product as a second htpc in the house.  I have an acer revo which is a good product and but more epensive.  The upside on a full computer is the versatility in loading codecs, drivers, decoders etc which can always solve your problem if you don’t have audio or there is a video issue.

So if there are opinions from users who have a large collection of x264 videos that can speak to the playability and GUI for this it would be appreciated.  Given the vast number of ways to encode these movies I’m wondering if people have encountered a lot of problems.  Of lesser importance but still important is the picture and mp3 playback and GUI which I assume isn’t an issue.

Thanks a lot!

Welcome to the forums.

Remember, as always with any forum, that the vast majority of folks who come here have issues with the product.  That doesn’t mean it’s bad – if you went to a hospital you’d assume there were no healthy people in the world.  But people come here for help with problems and there aren’t too many “hey, I’m just here because I love this thing” folks hanging around (because once most folks get “fixed” they don’t stay).

That said I’ll tell you I have three of these things (and not all gotten at the same time).  I’ve looked at nearly every other offering on the market and still think the Live/Plus is the best of the lot.  I also have literally thousands of videos that I’ve played without issue.  But (and this is a big butt) I also have reasonable expectations from such a product.  And I’m willing to work around the limitations.

If you are willing to encode your video to a standard the Live “enjoys” you’ll have no problems whatsoever.  But you may not be willing to do this.  I encode EVERYTHING, using Handbrake (and the High Profile preset but changing the output type to MKV).  I don’t download pirated stuff from the internet (when I do download the occasional YouTube video I reencode with Handbrake).  I create all my files from DVDs and blu-rays I own, and they play with surround sound on my AVR that can properly decode DTS and AC3.

The Live does have some problems with some file formats – while it plays “most” things it doesn’t play them all.  It has some issues streaming uncompressed blu-ray material wirelessly (I encode my stuff so this isn’t a problem but I am also wired on two of my three units).  The GUI, while functional, isn’t as pretty as some of the newer stuff out there (but that newer stuff has other issues).  My one and only complaint is with thumbnails over net shares (but the workaround is satisfactory for me).

My advice?  Buy it from a play you can return it (Amazon or Best Buy) and see for yourself.  I can’t recommend anything else at the moment (perhaps the Boxee but that’s still a couple of months away).

mkelley wrote:

Remember, as always with any forum, that the vast majority of folks who come here have issues with the product.  That doesn’t mean it’s bad – if you went to a hospital you’d assume there were no healthy people in the world.

I wish more people realized that, in general.  People speak up to complain, not when they’re happy.  You do a search for any product or medication, and you can find large numbers of people signing up to messageboards to complain about a problem or a side effect.  You don’t see how many are perfectly happy, and not signing up anywhere.

Just a quick note, I’m happy with it overall. It plays all of the random things I’ve downloaded with no problem (they have a fix for MKV header compression in a beta firmware, so the next official release should have it). My biggest annoyance (which is really pretty minor) so far is that when I reset or power off the device, it won’t resume my movies from where I previously left off. For this reason I just leave the device on all the time.

Consider how many posts have been done by the respondents. If somebody has only ever posted 2 times and they say the product **bleep**, they’ve likely just signed up to complain!

My Live and Plus have been, for the most part, great.

I don’t play much music or view many photos but I do watch quite a lot of anime and movies and, since getting the Plus, Netflix.

Visual quality has never been an issue.  Most of my BD rips are 720p MKV files with AC3 audio and play back flawlessly.  My old anime is mainly AVI files with hard subs, not a lot to go wrong there!  They play back great.  My newer anime collections are in MKV format with soft subs and, as with the movies, play back without significant issue.

If you encode everything to MKV (or remux), you’ll likely get along great with it.  :)

I will comment that there’s not great support for SSA subs, so any styles or positions (and multi-subs onscreen) get ignored.  Very frustrating on occasion but not a deal-breaker (I would very much like it fixed but it doesn’t seem to be high on WD’s lengthy To-Do list).  Likewise with SRT subs; many PC media players will allow multiple subs onscreen simultaneously (or even allow positioning), despite that being way outside the SRT spec.  On the WD players, the newer sub replaces any other sub when there’s an overlapping timestamp.

In the early days, there were some significant MP4 sync issues (rectified in the 1.03.35 Live beta IIRC, and possibly the stock Plus firmware).  I remuxed whatever MP4 files I had into MKV and never looked back.  Testing some old sync-issue files shows that WD did fix that rather nasty issue though.  Newer betas also fixed the MKV Header Compression issue caused by the MKVmerge 4.1.x+ builds.  

WD do fix things but it seems to take a little longer than many in the community would like (and I include myself among them, tbh).

There are still issues with MP4 / M4V containers not passing through AC3 audio.  To be fair, I believe that’s more to do with the official MP4 spec than any deficiency of the Live.  

Other manufacturers seem more willing to implement workarounds to appease the community; WD seem to be sticklers for official specifications, for better or worse.

The Plus has a well-documented Instant Queue Unavailable bug that may or may not strike.  The FAQ on this forum includes a quick reset code from Netflix that’s worked for me in the past and got me back up and watching within 5 minutes.

Many people claim that the Live / Plus have networking issues.  In my experience, most problems lie with the network itself.  All my connection issues could be pin-pointed to Vista doing weird stuff with the shares, with a service crashing, with the LMB bouncing all around the network instead of sticking to one PC.  If you set your network up right, you don’t need to worry about networking issues.

Kudos for seeking opinions before purchasing.  Too often, people blindly buy a Live or Plus and are then disappointed (sometimes understandably) and they come here to complain.  If you know what the unit is capable of and accept its flaws, it’s actually a really nice media player.  :)

And welcome to the forum!  If you do decide to get one, there’s a lot of help available here.  If not, please post back and let us know what you eventually purchased. 

I have the Live Plus. It works OK for my needs, but be aware that it has many software bugs…heck, I feel like I am a Beta tester. No one else in my family can use the WD box because of the software bugs. It depends a lot on what particular hardware that you have and how you encode and store your media files. Some folks have no problems at all while others experience a lot of annoying bugs.

The WD has a lot of problems with hdmi handshaking with certain TVs. The main problem for me (and a lot of others that I have read about in these forums) is that the WD box does not remember the video settings for my TV when it is turned off and on. I set the video output resolution to 1080i, but about 50% of the time when I turn it back on,  the box has reset itself to 720p (which my TV does not support).

I also have experienced a lot of freezing and hangups. Sometimes, when I power it on, the unit doesn’t complete its bootup cycle and freezes. Sometimes, when using fast forward and fast rewind, the box freezes up. These freeze-ups require me to unplug the AC power to regain control (buttons on the remote have no effect).

If you don’t mind working with software bugs, there is a lot of advice here about workarounds and how to encode your media files so that the WD will work correctly. For me, the WD box does what I want, but I am not sure that I would buy one again. The new GoogleTV box would probably have been a better choice for me.

I bought the WD Live Plus primarly to play my local media and it does that well. The other features are just good extras for me.

However I did have a few issues at first until I upgraded my firmware to the WDLVTV Plus firmware and now all my issues are mostly solved.

The primary issues I had were with thumbnails (both the thumbnails and the movies would show on network shares) and audio video sync and the upgraded firmware fixed both problems…

All in all I am now very satisfied with the WD Live Plus.

Gilgamesh wrote:

…both the thumbnails and the movies would show on network shares…and the upgraded firmware fixed both problems…

Really?  I wasn’t aware this firmware addressed the duplicate thumbnail bug.  Are you sure?

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Really?  I wasn’t aware this firmware addressed the duplicate thumbnail bug.  Are you sure?

Yes, by using netmounts to make a network share appear as a local drive.

Ok, you’ve got me there.   HOW are you doing that?

I think this is what the poster is doing re: xmounts

http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=1869

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Ok, you’ve got me there.   HOW are you doing that?

You xmount your shares by mounting your windows networkshares on the wdtv.
Read the net.mounts file and look for CIFS

That file is part of the instlation package.

While I have not worked with Linux for many years and I stumbled a bit because of it being case sensitive getting this working was quite easy.

Also you must have an empty file named .addmounts in the root directory of a USB sitck at boot along with the net.mounts file. (yes it starts with a period but I found that this can be created with notepad even though it is not suposed to be an allowed Windows file name.)

Ok, I’m with you so far, but how are you getting the WDTV to execute that?   The STOCK firmware understands this?

If you can write up a tutorial, I’ll have it added to the FAQ!   This sounds like a pretty big deal, and no one here has mentioned it before.

Nope… stock firmware won’t.  The net.mounts file is part of the 3rd-party firmware.  That’s how it gets loaded at boot.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Ok, I’m with you so far, but how are you getting the WDTV to execute that?   The STOCK firmware understands this?

If you can write up a tutorial, I’ll have it added to the FAQ!   This sounds like a pretty big deal, and no one here has mentioned it before.

This is all part of the WDLVTV Plus firmware that I mentioned in my first post in this thread. There is a sort of tutorial over in the WDLVTV Plus forum and in the Wiki.

Remember that the WDLVTV Plus firmware does not have “all” the features of the regular WDLVTV firmware but it does contain most and remember it is NOT supported by WD,

I just think it is a step forward from the current stock firmware.

Take a look , if you have not already.

OH!   It’s called WDL*X*TV, not WDLVTV. 

When you wrote WDLVTV I thought that you were abbreviating WD Live TV Plus.

Never mind, then!  :)

The far easier fix for the thumbnail “bug” on net shares is just to use a playlist – functionality identical and doesn’t involve any third party firmware.

In any case, since the OP hasn’t been back I’m assuming he/she has all the info they need at this point to make a decision (which they also probably already have done).