I know I messed up, but is it recoverable?

I am not one to remain within the confines of what I’m told to do, especially when it comes to computers. I bought a WD Passport 1TB USB 3.0, and the very first thing I did was format the drive, and partition it into 750 GB NTFS (labeled Passport), and 250 GB FAT32 (labeled TXFR). I have a PS3, so that’s what I use the FAT32 for, and I have files larger than 4 GB, and I can’t use the FAT32 for that. I also re-formatted it because I love the hard drives that WD makes, not the software. The software is memory-hogging, does not perform the simple operations smoothly or nicely, and is generally not user-friendly. I know what I need to back up, and if I can’t keep track of it, then how would I remember to restore it if needed?

It worked out perfectly in theory, and for a few days. I don’t actually have any USB 3 ports on my computer at the moment, but it says 2.0 compatible, so I went right ahead. I’ve already stored some stuff on the Passport side.

Through careless use of the USB plug, not realizing I wasn’t actually pushing it in all the way, it started not finishing file transfers properly. I got slightly more and more frustrated, until in desperate attempts to make the computer see the drive, I might have unplugged it a few times without safely removing. Now, whenever I plug it in, my diagnostics tell me that it still has the hardware model ‘WD My Passport 0748’, but capacity is 0 and it’s not formatted. I’m not looking for it to get serviced under the warranty or anything, but is it still salvageable? Can Best Buy do it or something?

Maybe important, but I run Ubuntu Linux and Windows 7. And before you start telling me about ‘compatible with PC’ and ‘not compatible with Linux’ or anything, phrases like that are for people who don’t know computers. It’s a drive that holds stuff. It has a master boot record. A computer system can read it. Finito.

If you are not concerned about the data, you can try writing zeroes to it, then reformat it.  If you care about the data you will need to use a data recovery software before proceeding.

How to low level format or write zeros (full erase) to a WD hard drive or Solid State drive 

How to initialize or write a signature to a secondary hard drive or Solid State drive in Windows (7, Vista, XP) 

How to partition and format a WD drive on Windows (7, Vista, XP) and Mac OSX  

You can try running something like TestDisk and see if it will fix it http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk As far as Linux it is not a supported system and there are mixed results using these drives on Linux. Is the problem with just Linux or both?

Joe

Vadir wrote:

If you are not concerned about the data, you can try writing zeroes to it, then reformat it.  If you care about the data you will need to use a data recovery software before proceeding.

How to low level format or write zeros (full erase) to a WD hard drive or Solid State drive 

How to initialize or write a signature to a secondary hard drive or Solid State drive in Windows (7, Vista, XP) 

How to partition and format a WD drive on Windows (7, Vista, XP) and Mac OSX  

I got as far as Acronis, but when I tried starting it, it wouldn’t recognize the drive. Also, when writing the zeroes, the program reported the drive as having capacity 0 MB. Originally when I tried to initialize the drive from Windows partition manager, it gave me an I/O error, which sounds really bad, as in can’t access it bad.

Joe_S wrote:

You can try running something like TestDisk and see if it will fix it  http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk As far as Linux it is not a supported system and there are mixed results using these drives on Linux. Is the problem with just Linux or both?

Joe

TestDisk does not recognize the disk, only my on board hard drive.

If a drive reports a capacity of 0 LBAs, then that’s usually an internal problem, ie physical rather than logical.

How is the drive’s model number (eg WD10EARS) reported by a utility such as HD Sentinel or HDDScan?

Can you retrieve any SMART data?