I do not know how to use My Passpeort as an external HD

I used it to back up my files from my Windows 7 desktop. It worked fine and was relativly simple to do.

Now I have 2 problems.

1. I can’t access the files that are on the MyPassport. The Retrieve tab is not ‘lit’ and when I go to the Settings tab it will not let me browse to the MyPassport files. Can I use the MyPassport as a separate hard drive? Using Windows Explorer I don’t appear to be able to “see” into the MyPassport to see the files that were backed up there.

2. When I tried to use Windows Explorer to dump the files on the MyPassport into my 7-yr old laptop (Windows XP) I couldn’t get it to work. When I double-clicked the WDSmartWare folder in Windows Explorer I got a box that said it wasn’t compatable.

Can anyone tell me how to use it?

Thank you,

Al

To use the files on the MyPassport while they are inside the external drive, redo the HD by a manual backup instead, by copy and pasting the files. This way, you can have direct access to the files. In other words the HD does not work if you use the WD software. If you would like to restart, you will need to reformat the external drive using the Windows format tool, then start moving the files over. By not using WD software you can still back up your files and you can easily transfer them to another computer and you can use it as your primary drive if you so choose.
Go to: How to partition and format a WD drive on Windows (7, Vista, XP) and Mac OSX. 

Good thing you figure it our on your own…

The software does allow you to go into the files but if you like the manual type better there’s no need to go there

but will i lose files on the hd when i reformat it?

If you reformat the drive you will loose the files on it.

Joe