I can't access My Cloud on my home network. Help please!

Hello. For some unknown reason My Cloud has stopped being accessible from my home network. I cannot access the folders and files using my MacBook. It does not show up as a device on Finder nor appear on Network. It’s plugged in and connected to my Virgin router and the blue light is on continuously, but it just can’t be found. I’ve done a 4 sec re-set and then a 40 sec re-set with no success. Can anyone tell me the steps to follow to get it working again, please.

Correction! It does appear under Locations in Finder, but when I click on it, it does not respond and I cannot see my folders and files.

When you press Command K (Connect to Server) do you see your MyCloud listed? It should show as smb://MyCloud or smb://Username@MyCloud.
In Terminal, can you ping it? ping MyCloud or ping MyCloud.local
Have you assigned it a static address on your router with and address outside of the dhcp range?

When I press Command K, I do get smb://MyCloud, but when I click on Connect I get no response

Screenshot 2019-08-02 at 18.18.38.png

When I tried ping MyCloud this is what I got:

Screenshot 2019-08-02 at 18.14.12.png

As for the third question - "Have you assigned it a static address on your router with and address outside of the dhcp range?”

I’m not confident about my technical skills to do this. How might I go about it on a MacBook?

You set the static address on your router, not your MacBook. Often when the MyCloud sleeps, it becomes invisible on the network.
I am curious why the IP number for your MyCloud begins with 92.242.x.x….normally IP addresses in a local network are in the range 192.168.x.x…most routers default to.
Basically this is what you have to do:

1. set your dhcp range (i.e. the IP numbers that your router gives out) to allow some IP numbers outside the range. Many routers default to 192.168.1.1 as the router’s IP address and assign the dhcp range to 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254, which is the full range. You can set this range to 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.200 which will give you 54 possible static addresses.

2. allow static (or manually assigned) address and assign one to your MyCloud. In my example above you could assign 192.168.1.210 to your MyCloud. Be sure to assign it outside of the dhcp range, but no larger than 192.168.1.254.

Apply (& save) as you make each of the changes (1 & 2 above) on your router. You will have to reboot the MyCloud after all changes have been made…MacBook as well.

You may have misconfigured DNS settings as well. On your MacBook, if you click on the wi-fi on the menu bar, select Open Network Preferences, then Advanced (lower right), then DNS, you should have your router address in the DNS Servers box and ideally the name of your local network (lan) in the Search Domains box.

Thank you Torch1 for your very detailed response. I’ll try what you suggest over the next day or two and let you know how I get on. It’s all just at the end of my fingertips!

Hello Torch1
Thank you for your advice. I attempted to make changes to the DHCP range on my Virgin router without success. I tried the Virgin help desk and they were similarly puzzled. The WD My Cloud was recognised as being connected via the ethernet cable but was not functioning.

So, to solve the problem, I have connected the device to my old MacBook Pro (yes, it has an ethernet port!) and copied all the My Cloud content onto an external drive. I have then disconnected the My Cloud and put it in a cupboard. I shall now pay each month for cloud storage. I have had nothing but grief over the last few years with WD My Cloud and am glad to see the back of it. That notwithstanding, I thank you for your help.

That is unfortunate - I have found the WD MyCloud to be very good network storage. I did make some advanced changes to make it work better with Macs, but they are not required to see the device on your network. https://community.wd.com/t/solved-tweaking-samba-smb2-for-mac-androids/236189

I am surprised your Virgin help desk could not help with DHCP range settings. I assume you are in Europe and it is a combination router/modem.

Yes I’m in UK and it is a router/ modem. If I were technically more savvy I guess I would try to make a go of it. I can’t even use it as a stand-alone external hard drive. Only my ancient MBP (2007) has an Ethernet connector. I gather I am unable to use the USB port to connect to my iPhone or my iPad in order to access files on WDMC. At some point I’ll restore it to factory settings and pass it on. Again thanks for your support and interest.