I can log in through mycloud.com but not through direct ip address of MyCloud device

I have just set up my mycloud and things are mostly working, but I can’t log in through the interface directly on the device (using the local ip address). When I open a browser to that, I get a log in screen requesting Device username and Password, but whatever I type in it rejects and says “Only administrator users are allowed.” Aren’t I the administrator? I am able to log in using the web address (files.mycloud.com).

When you initially setup your My Cloud did you create a password for the administrator account?

If one forgets the administrator password they can reset it by performing a 4 second reset or a 40 second system restore via the reset button on the back of the My Cloud.

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=10432

I did, and those are the credentials I am using to log in through files.mycloud.com, but the same log in does not work when I open a browser to the device directly (192.168…)

mycloud.com and Dashboard/local file server access use entirely different credentials.

From the user manual:

Accessing Your Personal Cloud on the Web
Note: My Cloud access is not compatible with 64-bit Windows XP.
First-Time Users

1. After a user account is created, the new user receives an email with instructions for
    creating a password for the MyCloud.com account.
  2. Follow the instructions in the email. The My Cloud Sign in page displays.
  3. Enter the email address associated with the user and a password for MyCloud.com, and
    then click Sign in. The password must be between 8 and 30 characters and contain
    two of the following: a number (0-9), an uppercase letter (A-Z), or a special character
    (!@$%^&*).
  4. The MyCloud.com account page opens. Continue to “Using Your Personal Cloud
    (MyCloud.com)” on page 53.

I tried resetting my admin password by inserting a paper clip into the reset hole and holding it for 5-6 seconds, but I get the exact same login screen on http://wdmycloud as before and it will not let me log in. I’m so frustrated by this product.

Have you tried a 40 second system restore? See the “How to reset a My Cloud device” link above for directions on how to perform a 4 second reset or a 40 second system restore.

What User are you using, when trying to login after a reset? Please be precise.

I’d also suggest closing any existing browser tabs for the Dashboard, and opening a new one. Or forcing a page refresh.

Thank you for trying to help. Here is the screen that I see when I open the browser window to the drive directly. I have tried leaving both fields blank as well as every combination of admin/admin I can think of. I’ve tried the paper clip reset 5-6 times now, for varying amounts of time from 4 to 40 seconds, with the power on and the power off, and this is always what I get after it finishes rebooting.

I’m using Windows 10 and it stopped being able to map the drive right before I started trying to do these resets, and yet I can still get to the drive through files.mycloud.com, just not locally through either the browser interface or through windows at this point.

The default, post reset credentials are user ‘admin’ and a blank password.

Is that a fresh browser window, or do you keep re-using a window? Because I’ve found the browser cache retains code, and gives ‘ghost responses’;the lights are on, but nobody’s home…

Just to be sure, when you do the 40-second reset, you are doing this:

Unplug power, and wait a minute or so
Press and hold reset button
Apply power, keeping reset button held
Release reset button after 40 seconds

I repeated the process, first unplugging the device like you said, and this time it seems to have worked. I was able to create an admin password and then create individual user shares. It doesn’t even look like the same interface now, so I’m really confused about what happened on the first set up, but thank you again for your help, hopefully now it will operate smoothly.

If you’ve just bought it, it may have had old firmware, and, if you’ve left firmware upgrade on automatic, it may have upgraded to the latest firmware.

Depending on how old the firmware was, it may have changed from a black UI to a white UI.

Glad to hear you’re up and running again. If you haven’t, do download and read the user manual.