I bungled new device setup

I have zero network skills and have made an error in my first hour of using a brand new My Cloud EX2 Ultra 8TB. This replaces an Apple TimeCapsule as primary backup of my MacBook via Time Machine. I connected it and did the basic setup, I noticed it was available to Time Machine as a backup device but did not appear on my network using “Connect to Server” which is a function we used often in the apple device.

In browsing the settings it seemed iSCSI was the way to make this appear as a network device. I turned this on and set it to use 3TB of the 3.8 available. Clearly this was not the solution as it still failed to appear on the network. I turned iSCSI off but something odd happened. Connecting via the browser interface shows only 893 GB of space available (this means turning off iSCSI failed to release the 3TB I assigned to it). And, the browser interface is completely frozen.

I thought I’d try cycling the power but surprised to find no power button on the device. I decided to press the reset and now I have nothing. It’s been well over an hour so I’m confident it has had time to restart but the browser dashboard no longer loads. I’ve using the login I created during the setup and I’ve tried My Cloud, neither works.

The user manual is over my head, I’m hoping somebody has a solution a non-tech like myself can manage. I appreciate any advice you may have, Thank you.

Hi @rickde ,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:

Thank you for the advice, I hadn’t realized there was a way to contact the support team. I will certainly use this option.

For the benefit of others in this same situation, I solved the iSCSI problem. It seems enabling this feature creates a disk partition with the allotted storage. Turning off the feature simply stops access to the partition. To regain the storage space I lost it was neccessary to delete the partition. This option was somewhere in the iSCSI setup options. I don’t know how I stumbled upon it and I found no reference to it in the manual but it solved the problem.

I’m still wondering why the machine has no power button. Pulling the power cord seems abrupt and historically I’ve been told to never unplug an electronic device while it is running. There should be a shutdown procedure. I will send a message to the support team about this.

Thanks for your advice.

Under utilities; select “Hibernate”

That will shutdown the machine. Once it is quiet. . .unplug it.

(If you hibernate; and the power “blips” off and then on. . .it will boot up)