Hub

Hello,

First time on this site new to all of this media streaming products.  I have been reading up on the Live TV hub I so far really like what I have read and am def wanting to purchase one.

Few questions,

There is one hub with no storage, how does this work?  how can you send your media to the hub and watch it when it has no storage space. This unit is only $99.00 compared to the 1TB storage unit for $219.00  Can someone break this down for me, explain the difference and how the one with no storage works.

Also, for the ones who have this device and use it, how do you like it? any complaints? pros, cons.   Any info would be greatly appreciated putting out this kind of money I really need to know what I am getting myself into.

Thanks so much. 

I love mine, the user interface is by far the best out there.  The 99 dollar one requires any type of USB storage connected to play movies.  It just doesn’t have any internal storage.

Then why would anyone need a WD hub, if they could just plus in there external harddrive directly to there TV and watch it from there.? 

You do not.  I used to run a gen 1 WD with hard drives all together by the TV.  Sure it worked, but I much prefer the Hub.

Nice and small (easy to hide or relocate).  With the price of hard drives now, it comes out fair priced if you are going to get media storage any way.

The only thing is, that it may take you longer to load up movies on the internal hub drive.  Not a bad trade off (IMHO).:smiley:

d-ru15 wrote:

Hello,

…There is one hub with no storage, how does this work?  how can you send your media to the hub and watch it when it has no storage space. This unit is only $99.00 compared to the 1TB storage unit for $219.00  Can someone break this down for me, explain the difference and how the one with no storage works…

Thanks so much. 

No such thing as a ‘Hub’ with no storage. You must be referring to either the ‘MEDIA LIVE PLUS’ or ‘LIVE STREAMING w/ Wifi’. For those, you’ll need to hook up an external hard drive to stream your personal materials. If you do more online stuffs like Netflix or Youtube then you wouldn’t have to worry about attaching anything to it. Now for the HUB, you can do both by attaching an HDD and/or just simply transfer some files that you would like to store in there for a while so you can watch it at your disposal. The only ‘negative’ is that it can a long time to do the transfers because the drive they use is only 4200rpm – and we all know how slow that can take when you have a 1TB drive spinning at only 4200 (like putting a 4-cylinder on a Lincoln Towncar). I might be wrong but that’s what I read somewhere.

Also, it should be noted, that you can share folders on your PC and if your PC has a large hard drive you could get by with out any external drives. (for me, I never seem to have enough storage)

I agree that 4200 rpm is slow and have changed mine in my laptop to a 7200 rpm and it sure did help, but I think the biggest bottle neck (IMHO) is transfer via RJ45 (Network/LAN) and USB2 direct connect to Hub using copy command is much better, but still very slow.  If you transfer files using the WD UI, it ties up the WD for some time.  If you use a PC to transfer your files, it will not be any faster, but you could still use the WD at the same time.  Note: HD movies performance may decline, but I have done LD videos, photos & music with no problem.

Hope this helps.  If $ is not an issue I prefer the WDLiveHub.  Just got my second one right from WD store for $199 and took their survey witch rewarded me with a $15 discount to that.  Thanks WD :smiley: