HP printer cannot scan to network folder after upgrading to OS 5

After upgrading my PR4100 from OS 3 to OS 5, my HP LaserJet 400 MFP M425dn can no longer scan documents to a network folder on the PR4100.

When I entered into the LaserJet Scan configuration GUI page and selected the Test option, the response was “The test was unsuccessful. Try again.”

On the configuration page, the network address is \nas1\cds\scanned\Scanned PDF

I am able to access this network folder from Windows 10, macOS 10.15 and Ubuntu 18.04 but not from the HP printer.

The network path hasn’t changed. Any ideas on a solution?

Same here, just upgraded to OS 5, can’t scan to network folder on my EX4100 from HP Color LaserJet MFP M477fdw. Please help!

Hi, try to change smb version in network settings to SMB1, SMB2, SMB3.

Thanks Corwin!

Your suggestion to change the SMB Protocol settings to “SMB 1, SMB 2, SMB 3” (it was SMB 3 after OS 5 upgrade) resolved the HP printer issue of not being able to scan to the network folder.

Very much appreciate your and the WD communities help!

• Larry

Hi Larry, just checked HP site (link below), M477fdw should support SMB2. If you are willing to try to change settings again try to set it to SMB2 SMB3 (hope this option is there, did not check), SMB1 has some security issues and should not be used unless neccessary.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05547920

Hi Corwin,

I was adventurous and changed the OS 5 SMB protocol settings to “SMB 2, SMB 3” and re-ran the HP Printer GUI network folder access test. It worked!

So I’m keeping the “SMB 2, SMB 3” setting for my WD file server.

Thanks for being curious and checking out the HP site.

Hi Corwin,

I did the same as Larryhuang, set to SMB 2, SMB3 and it worked for me. Wow, I spent few hours last night after the upgrade hacking shares, passwords, rebooting etc and could not fix it. You saved me!

Try adjusting the SMB & NTLM to older version and see if that’s the problem. Some older network devices (like Sonos below) may still require them. Could be the same problem.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30010/kw/SMB