HP Desktop PC won't boot with MyBook 4TB drive connected

I recently purchased a 4TB MyBook drive to replace an older 2TB unit that had started to show signs of failing. After spending the better part of the day transferring files to the new drive, I was dismayed to find my PC would just hang with the HP logo on the screen. I modified the boot sequence to disable USB devices, but that didn’t help. Finally I found an obscure note on a web site I can’t remember which said that some PCs would fail to boot with if a drive formatted EXFat was connected. I spent another day backing up, reformatting the new drive to NTFS, and restored the data. To my great relief, my PC will now boot normally.

Hi wlellis,

We are glad to know that your issue has been resolved.

Funny, I just bought a 4TB MyBook to replace an older 2TB that was showing signs of failing. I spent a number of hours copying files to the new drive. I shout my computer down the next day it wouldn’t boot up. I just get the Dell logo. I have to disconnect the new drive, then boot up and reconnect the drive. Are you saying I have to reformat the drive and start all over ??

I am not willing to do all this. I don’t think it should be an issue. I will not be getting another WD drive. I can copy my files to my x64 from my 1G drive, then copy them to the 4G drive, which works on the X64, but not the x32. It’s a shame that WD made such a mistake.

Just had exactly the same problem with new 3Tb Mybook. I’ve just reformatted the drive to NTFS and it’s now fine. I wonder why WD don’t add this to their frequently asked questions when its clearly affecting a lot of people? For those who need help with reformatting, it is very easy. Just open MyPC and find the mybook drive. Right click on it and choose ‘format’ -under the File System box it will probably say ‘exFAT’. Just change it to ‘NTFS’ and click start at the bottom. It will reformat in a just a few seconds and then your problem should be solved.

There are various reasons that cause the PC wont boot issue . Kindly find below the reasons for such an issue:
Check the power supply and battery
If your HP laptop won’t turn on even when plugged in, start by checking the power supply. There are quite a few issues you could have with the power supply.

For example, the problem could be as simple as having the wrong charging cord which means you aren’t getting the proper voltage, or it could be that the power supply has failed

1. To test if the power supply is the issue, completely remove your laptop battery

2. Then, plug your laptop into a functioning outlet.

3. First, confirm the outlet is functioning properly by plugging another device into it - if it works, the issue isn’t the outlet.
4. If you can power on your laptop without the battery installed, the issue isn’t the power supply, it’s your battery.

5. You’ll need to buy a new one but, in the meantime, you can simply use AC power only.

6. It’s perfectly fine to use your laptop without the battery installed, it just means you’ll always have to be plugged into an outlet to use it.

Boot in safe mode

If your HP laptop won’t turn on you might still be able to get your laptop working in safe mode Safe mode allows you to uninstall new programs or drivers that could be affecting your laptop. It also allows you to create a new user account if your original account has been corrupted.

It sounds like the partition on your My Book is marked as active. When marked as active, the BIOS will attempt to boot off the drive when the computer is turned on or rebooted. Because there’s nothing on the My Book (like an OS) that the BIOS can boot from, many systems may hang or display an error until the drive is unplugged and the system is rebooted. Reformatting to another file system will preserve the active status, and specialized partition management software is required to remove the active status. A quick fix is to enter your computer’s BIOS and change the boot order, placing the internal storage drive that your computer boots from before the USB/removable devices, so that the computer will always boot from the internal drive first before it’s able to access any connected USB storage devices.