How to wipe hard drives securely clean before returning My Cloud Home to WD?

Hi guys,

I just decided to return my MCH to WD and just bought -a minute ago- a My Cloud Mirror to replace it! BUT, as I was invited to return my MCH, I’m asking myself how to erase all the datas I already put on the drives…

Is there a safe way to erase securely (multiple passes) and permanently all datas before sending it back?

Do you know any network drive “file shredder” able to do this? Is it possible to “(deep-)format” the TWO drives?

Thank you for any suggestion…

I know it sounds a bit / completely* paranoïd but all my life is now on these drives and I don’t want my life in others hands than mine…

*choose one :-p

Thank you for that suggestion BUT the statement “Data Recovery may be possible using a WD Data Recovery Partner” is not acceptable for me… I want all my personal datas erased for good :-/

the only way to permanently erase data from a hard drive and make it 100% unrecoverable

is to use a hammer, burn it and then to fiinish off … soak the remains in hydrochloride acid for a few days.

viola … personal data gone and 100% unrecoverable :slight_smile:

Ho! … I didn’t think about that solution!
Thank you :smiley:
PS: do you think WD will accept my return after that treatment?

Follow-up…

I wiped the drives clean (not using the process decribed just above :smiley: ) and returned my MCH to WD, printed the return label, dropped it at a UPS station and received the refund less than a week later.

I already replaced it by a My Cloud Mirror Gen2 (cheaper!) and I’m very satisfied! Now, I can share folders between users and access any file (shared files too!) from outside my home, using MyCloud.com account. And on the top of that, I/We can sync our files using WD Sync

That’s definitely what I needed! (and what MCH didn’t offer me :confused: )

Hi, I know this topic is months old but please could you share the method you used for wiping the MyCloud Home. I came from the support site and the “Data Recovery may be possible using a WD Data Recovery Partner” really disappoints and annoys me. I need to remove the data with at least one overwrite.

boot from installation disk and wipe user partition sataa24

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sataa24 bs=4M count=1

after reboot without usbdrive and reset via buttom

p.s. this command writes the entire space with zeros and the speed of its completion depends on the size of the disk