How to use VLC to watch videos off network

Hello, I was wondering how or if I’m able to use VLC to watch videos from My Cloud through a different network? I have setup FTP, media streaming, and Port Forwarding but I honestly don’t know much about what I’m doing - I’m fairly decent with computers but not so much with networking lol.

FTP is a insecure method of remote or local access.

Are you trying to access the My Cloud from a remote location?

To get true media streaming, not using a mobile device using the WD My Cloud mobile app, one may have to either setup a Plex Media Server on their local network, link it to the My Cloud, then enable the Plex Media Server remote access feature. Then run Plex or a Plex app on the remote computer or mobile device. One may have to spring for Plex Pass (cost money). Or one may have to go the VPN route and setup a VPN server on the same local network as the My Cloud, then use a VPN client on the remote computer or mobile device to access that VPN server. From there the remote computer will act like its on the same local network and one may possibly be able to stream media to VLC at that point.

I use PLEX within my house. . . . and I use someone else’s library across the internet.

I have tried Plex (and other tools) from across the internet: A key factor for me has been my internet upload speed. I have 25 down; but only 3-5 up. That really doesn’t cut it for HD streaming. I am sure I can fix that with a small allocation of money to my ISP each month; but I have not bothered.