HOW - TO: Update Failed at Step 2

adrian6753 wrote:

Hi Tony, Hi All,

I got my firmware in WD official site, this is for sure. These are the 3 files which I placed inside the USB Root:

As I’ve told you three times now (and this will be the fourth)  You downloaded the WRONG FILES.   You downloaded the GPL CODE, which will screw your hub up PERMANENTLY.

When you went to SUPPORT.WDC.COM, you downloaded the “WDTV Live Hub GPL Code.”  

You did *NOT* download the “Current Firmware - 2.07.17…” files.

Try again, and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.

This is so weird. I tried doing the upgrade with a USB and everything seemed to work. But I still have the same problem: My WD is partially visible from my computer. I can stream videos etc. FROM the WD to my computer, but I still can’t browse the WD or transfer files to it FROM my computer. When I try using WD Discovery it says:

"Network Drives Found:

WDTVLiveHub"

But when I click on “Browse Network Shares” it says: “The network path was not found”.

I’m using Win7.

Method 1 works like a charm. Thanks for saving my time.

Read first post and maybe mine too. We all ran in the same problem, now is fixed somehow.

Tony,

After fumbling around on my own for a few days I found your post. Followed your instructions and everything now working again. Thank you so much. One thing that I was doing wrong during my fumbling was that when I attached the USB drive with the renamed files on it and I was asked if I wanted to synchronise the USB drive? I answered repeatedly yes. Wrong!!! For everybody else out there who have their hub configured like mine take the cancel option at this point. You will then be offered the New Firmware found tab.

This for WD. Can you imagine how many people, who have spent their hard earned cash on your product, now have a hub that is close to useless and are not aware of this forum? You have to improve this. Releasing a very poorly tested firmware release is a very quick way to destroy your reputation and your share price

Cheers Tony

Pete

What if you were always wired, had a successful, uneventful, if a little long, update to 2.07.17, experienced most of the same problems everyone is reporting, then manually downgraded via USB, then manually upgraded via USB, noticed no change in problems with 2.07.17, then manually downgraded back to 2.06.10, and now still have wacky weirdness. I even installed the 2.06.10 firmware 2 more times and did a factory reset to try and shake out the remaining bugs. No dice.

Yes, wacky weirdness. That is about the best description I can give. I now have an application on my PC that was previously placing files on the WD without a problem and now, even though the app runs as my user, and I can create folders and files on the WD over the network, it no longer can reliably. That among other sporadic oddness.

And why is it that TonyPh12345, Honored Contributor is the loudest voice of support in this and not Bill, the guy who posted the firmware announcement and asked us to share our experiences?

I decided to leave the matter be for a while, because mine is mostly working again now, and I figured I would allow some time for WD to sort things out. But now I come back a couple weeks later to find a forum junkie running the show and nothing addressed.

Maybe 2.07.17 worked for a few people, I don’t know. But there is a huge thread full of angry people that would suggest there is actually something wrong. And blaming it on WiFi is a red herring. I have done this thing 6 ways to sunday, all over cat6 on a gigabit network and I have nearly identical problems.

Well done, WD. Score another back slapping victory for the MBAs managing your dev shop. This situation carries the stink of ignorance and hubris all over it.

Seriously, get your [deleted] together before you [deleted] up this awesome product. Pretty please.

P.S. For those of you who aren’t IT engineers by trade, I am truly sorry. It would appear that you are on your own unless you are fairly well versed in device firmware upgrades.

SynePDX wrote:

What if you were always wired, had a successful, uneventful, if a little long, update to 2.07.17, experienced most of the same problems everyone is reporting, then manually downgraded via USB, then manually upgraded via USB, noticed no change in problems with 2.07.17, then manually downgraded back to 2.06.10, and now still have wacky weirdness. I even installed the 2.06.10 firmware 2 more times and did a factory reset to try and shake out the remaining bugs. No dice.

Yes, wacky weirdness. That is about the best description I can give. I now have an application on my PC that was previously placing files on the WD without a problem and now, even though the app runs as my user, and I can create folders and files on the WD over the network, it no longer can reliably. That among other sporadic oddness.

And why is it that TonyPh12345, Honored Contributor is the loudest voice of support in this and not Bill, the guy who posted the firmware announcement and asked us to share our experiences?

I decided to leave the matter be for a while, because mine is mostly working again now, and I figured I would allow some time for WD to sort things out. But now I come back a couple weeks later to find a forum junkie running the show and nothing addressed.

Maybe 2.07.17 worked for a few people, I don’t know. But there is a huge thread full of angry people that would suggest there is actually something wrong. And blaming it on WiFi is a red herring. I have done this thing 6 ways to sunday, all over cat6 on a gigabit network and I have nearly identical problems.

Well done, WD. Score another back slapping victory for the MBAs managing your dev shop. This situation carries the stink of ignorance and hubris all over it.

Seriously, get your [Deleted] together before you [Deleted]  this awesome product. Pretty please.

P.S. For those of you who aren’t IT engineers by trade, I am truly sorry. It would appear that you are on your own unless you are fairly well versed in device firmware upgrades.

This is a user to user forum. Bill_S is the community manager and is employed by WD. Tony is a user who uses his knowledge and experience to help other users. Bill_S asked for feedback because WD like to know any problems but they don’t promise to do anything about those problems.

Rich is right.  This is a user to user forum.  However, I have escalated this issue, though it’s probable that it’s already been picked up on.

SynePDX wrote:

As Bill and Rich have already pointed out, this is a USER to USER forum. So the fact that Tony and others have posted more than the moderators is the way the forum is supposed to work. I hope that now it has been explained to you, you will stop taking cheap shots at the people who are trying to help you.

IMO this tread should not even exist.  At the first sign of problem with the last firmware update, it should have been pulled and the issue investegated.   As stated by Bill in the New Release - Firmware Version 2.07.17 for WD TV Live Hub (8/2/11) thread,   " Please post your experiences in this thread",  the issue was brought up in post #6 and many time after that, but even after 22 pages and over 200 messages there has not been any reply by the community manager  in that tread.

Let me ask this,  how many WD Live Hub users are now stuck with damage units and dont know how to fix them?

My 2 cents.

TheCoolDude wrote:

Let me ask this,  how many WD Live Hub users are now stuck with damage units and dont know how to fix them?

My 2 cents.

A WHOLE friggin’ lot!

Alrighty folks,

Yes, this should have never happened, but this thread is for people wanting to FIX it, not to complain about it.  ;)

If ya don’t complain about it, it won’t get fixed. Just sayin’… :slight_smile:

Just a question before I start with method 2:

Would it be better to change the version string to 2.07.18 instead 3.07.17?

Or is this number relevant only for the update and in the box it is stored version number 2.0.7.17 in anycase?

The reason for this question is, if WD offers a firmeware version like 2.09.12, if the box will find this version, if I upgrade to “faked” 3.xx.xx.

The number is only relavent DURING the upgrade (to fool the box into accepting that the firmware is NEWER.)

Once it’s installed, it’s irrelevent; the REAL firmware version number takes over.

In fact, AFTER the upgrade, it will constantly remind you to upgrade AGAIN until you remove the USB device.

Tank you!

Update sucessfully done :smiley:

Thanks for the info…

Whilst i would probably have figured it out eventually this thread saved my backside, as i was upgrading a friends hub and ran foul of the failed at stage 2 issue…

Hi

I am on a wired connection, and experience a fail in updating to .17…

I haven’t found any way to fix this yet…

isn’t there a hardware way to upgrade the firmware forcefully… like many other boxes where you press 2 keys on remote, or similar to initiate a usb upgrade?

There is no option anywhere in setup to upgrade via usb…

i have check for new update & autoupdate on/off…

please advice… !

Read the first post.  It’s all explained up there.