HOW - TO: Update Failed at Step 2

I had this happen to my 2nd hub, the wireless one.

The fix is easy.

But first, a note:   I will bet YOUR box was also wireless?   If so, there is a high likelihood that your WiFi settings were lost or corrupted during the PHASE 1 upgrade.    The instructions to check that are below.

Here’s how to recover.

METHOD 1  (Try this first.   It might not work, but if it does, it’s simpler and quicker.)  Thanks to Ramin2000:

• First, check your WiFi settings and make sure they’re still correct.
  • Turn off the box COMPLETELY (hard shutdown by holding the remote power button down for more than 3 seconds)
  • Turn it back on, then as soon as the UI is visible, turn it off (SOFT shutdown, or normal press of the remote power button)
  • Wait about 2 minutes for WiFi to work.
  • Then turn the box on using the remote again.
  • Firmware may continue to update.

METHOD 2

Download the 2.07.17 package from the website, here:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_livehub

(Click DOWNLOAD NOW)

You’ll download a ZIP file.

Open the ZIP file and place ALL FOUR FILES on a clean USB Flash Disk or hard drive.

EDIT the file named “wdtvlivehub.ver” using NOTEPAD.

It looks like this:

VERSION='2.07.17'
LOCATION='wdtvlivehub.bin'
PKG_LOCATION='wdtvlivehub.pkg'
ROOTFS2='wdtvlivehub.bi2'

Change the FIRST LINE so that it reads like this:

VERSION='3.07.17'
LOCATION='wdtvlivehub.bin'
PKG_LOCATION='wdtvlivehub.pkg'
ROOTFS2='wdtvlivehub.bi2'

and save the file.

Turn on your Hub and plug the USB disk into your Hub.

Wait for the NEW FIRMWARE notification, and proceed through the prompts.

If you don’t receive the NEW FIRMWARE notification after 60 seconds, pull the power plug and plug it back in.

WiFi check:

After you finish the upgrade, go into SETUP / NETWORK / WIRELESS FAVORITES.

Make sure there’s a GREEN DOT next to your SSID.   If not, then select that SSID and then at the bottom, select “MAKE DEFAULT” and that will add a green dot, and then CONNECT NOW.

2 Likes

My dear friends,
All you need to do is to turn off the box using the remote as soon as it was restarted.then wait about 2 min for the wifi to work.
Then turn the box on from the remote again and you will see that the firmware updates as normal… All this assuming you have a working wifi with connection to the web.

1 Like

Hi Tony, how do i edit the “wdtvlivehub.ver”??

Tony,  all good mate, I worked it out

Ramin2000 wrote:
My dear friends,
All you need to do is to turn off the box using the remote as soon as it was restarted.then wait about 2 min for the wifi to work.
Then turn the box on from the remote again and you will see that the firmware updates as normal… All this assuming you have a working wifi with connection to the web.

That didn’t work for me.   My WiFi was nuked until phase 2 was done.  Mine went for a full day without finishing.  :)

Thanks TONY !

You solved myn problem !

Thanks, this solved my problem too!

Ramin, I’m going to include your comments in my first post so that it might help whomever it can help.  

Thanks for adding your comments.

I tried method 2 first but had no luck so later on I tried method 1 and it now works perfectly. Not sure if it was a combination of both methods that got it fixed but I’m real happy that it’s working now as it should. Your help is much appreciated.

Ive had the same problem. update failed at 2/2.

I tried changing the file version. no luck hub would not find a new version to download.

Makde sure wireless was favourited no luck there,

had to set up a wired connection to the network. BINGO currently at 20% of 2/2.

So you mught want to add a fix number 3

It looks like mine is fixed right now.

I can see the WD hub over the network and I am trying now to transfer files from my PC to WDTV through wired network.

What I did was :

1. download the files and changed the vers to 3.07.17 as per TonyPh (1st post)

and it didn’t work, cause it couldn’t find any new firmware ,just trying to sync([deledted] thing from Apple) my USB stick.

After few focking tryouts with no succcess I moved the USB stick to the back of the Hub into that USB port, then I went to Setup>Network> checked again on Auto and let it re-find the IP. It took 3 mins or so but it did (it did this also all day long) and after reboot, magically, “New Firmware " [deleted] pictogram appeared, clicked on it , found vers 3.07.17 (God save us if the” [deleted] working for WD"will post a new firmware with a vers 2.07.18) and updated it. Probably the hub won’t see it as an update.

It looks likes is transferring files again while i type.

I hope the [deleted] will understand tomorrow what it means to post an untested firmware upgrade.

Not too many of those who bought this Hub read this forum and they will probably go tomorrow and try to return the WD Hub cause it won’t work and don’t know how to fix it. I  can’t even imagine the loss WD has because of this.

Hi Tony, Hi all:

I got my WD Hub updated via wifi and the updated cannot be completed. I also having have problems updating it manually. I would like to request a clear instruction on how to update this manually.

When I downloaded the zip file UPDATE 2.07.17, I got the files below:

1. RV_Launcher_firmware_C4 – This is a folder

2. LICENSE_NOTE

3. md5sum

4. README

5. readme.doc

6. README PREREQUISITES

7. RV_2.07.17_G.tgz – another zip folder inside the zip folder WDTV_LiveHub_GPL_package_2_07_17_G.zip.

8. RV_Project_Source_Code_License_List_2.07.17.doc

Now, this is the process I understand:

1. Prepare a clean USB Drive

2. Place the following files in the root of the USB:

• md5sum.txt
  • wdtvlivehub.bin
  • wdtvlivehub.fff
  • wdtvlivehub.ver – edit the FIRST LINE of this file to a HIGHER VERSION so that hub can recognized it

My Questions and Queries:

1. After the step 2 I mentioned, the Hub will detect the firmware, and when I click the update firmware, the Hub will reboot. What should I do next?

2. Rememeber, I only got these files inside my USB:

• md5sum.txt
  • wdtvlivehub.bin
  • wdtvlivehub.fff
  • wdtvlivehub.ver

What should I do with the other files?

3. What should I do with this zip file, RV_2.07.17_G.tgz? Should I unzip this as well? If YES, after unzipping this, what should I do?  

4. When I unzip RV_2.07.17_G.tgz, I got this folder, RV_2.07.17_G. Inside this folder, I got these files:

• build – a folder
  • config – a folder
  • scripts – a folder
  • src – a folder
  • .config
  • cscope.sh
  • CURRENT_SET
  • Kconfig
  • makefile
  • Target.h
  • Target.mk
  • Target.options

As I noted, these files are INSIDE RV_2.07.17_G folder. Should I also place this inside the Root of the USB?

1. Please provide detail instruction on what to do with these files. Please provide a detail and complete instruction on how to manually update the Hub. I already read the WD official website instructions on how to update FW manually, please do not recommend this as a resolution as it does not discuss clearly on what to do with the other files. I already had read forums on this topic, but I still get lost on what to do after my Hub detects the “NEW FIRMWARE”.

I am hoping to receive replies on this queries, and I do apologize for this request and lengthy questions. I am just new in using Hub, and I would appreciate a detailed instruction on this for NOOBS like me. :wink:

Thanks in Advance, guys.

THAT IS NOT FIRMWARE!! That is the GPL package! DO NOT USE IT!

So, what should be the complete standard file structure inside the USB?

1. md5sum.txt

2. wdtvlivehub.bin

3. wdtvlivehub.fff

4. wdtvlivehub.ver

Would this be all inside the USB root in order to successfully update the firmware? I forgot to mention, after my Hub recognizes the New Firmware, it will reboot. After the reboot, it will lost my wifi connection. I don’t know why. As a result, I cannot continue upgrading via wifi. I solely need to depend on the USB. What should be the right process?

Thanks for the reply.

The md5sum file is NOT Part of the firmware. Did you see my previous post? If you use the files you’re talking about, you’ll wreck your hub…

So, what needs to be done to downgrade the firmware? What should be the standard and complete folder structure inside the USB? Would the three files enough to upgrade or downgrade the FW?

Just read the instructions in the first post of this thread.

Hi Tony, Hi All,

When I update the WD Hub FW manually, I can make the Firmware Update visible. But after the reboot, I got this error:

The firmware your attempting to install is not complete. Please check http://support.wdc.com for the correct firmware.

I got my firmware in WD official site, this is for sure. These are the 3 files which I placed inside the USB Root:

1. wdtvlivehub.bin

2. wdtvlivehub.fff

3. wdtvlivehub.ver – Revised using notepad

Any ideas how I can resolve this problem? Thanks in advance.

adrian6753 wrote:

Hi Tony, Hi All,

When I update the WD Hub FW manually, I can make the Firmware Update visible. But after the reboot, I got this error:

The firmware your attempting to install is not complete. Please check http://support.wdc.com for the correct firmware.

I got my firmware in WD official site, this is for sure. These are the 3 files which I placed inside the USB Root:

1. wdtvlivehub.bin

2. wdtvlivehub.fff

3. wdtvlivehub.ver – Revised using notepad

Any ideas how I can resolve this problem? Thanks in advance.

Have you been reading the replies?

If you downloaded the correct firmware then you should have the following 4 files in the root of the USB flash drive.

1. wdtvlivehub.fff

2.wdtvlivehub.ver

3.wdtvlivehub.bi2

4.wdtvlivehub.bin

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_livehub