How to set up ftp so as to copy files using an ftp client

Hello friends,
Requesting help and clues towards getting ftp to work on my NAS in a Windows network. I have already turned on the ftp setting in my dashboard on My Cloud NAS.

I know key data like my ip address to the NAS. I know the network ip address by using a myip webpage. I have created users and shares and their passwords. I have started copying files into a share folder.

I started copying files over by mapping a share folder and signing in with a user that has read-write access. I am trying to copy over files from the server to the NAS, to then have everything on the NAS and do away with the Windows Server 2012. But copying files over has been very slow, so I was hoping that using ftp and an ftp client like Filezilla might work and perhaps make the copying go faster?

I have tried different host names, username and passwords but nothing works to connect. Is there something that I am missing here?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Om Ah Hum
Jairo JamyangPawo Moreno in Orlando, FL.

@jairowd

Look at this and see if there is anything that may help you.

FTP (File Transfer Protocol) Definition (techterms.com)

my experience is if you are having network transfer issues. . . .you have network transfer issues and FTP won’t help.

I am presuming you have the NAS on the same home network as the Server? If so. . . make sure you have 1gb routers, and the network card in the server is also 1gb. Make sure the server isn’t WIRELESS to the router.

If the NAS and the Server are connected via internet. . . .watchout for max upload speed of the server ISP. For example, in the US; it is not uncommon to have 100mbs download (Great for 5 people watching 5 movies); and 5mbs upload (not good for 1 person watching a 1080p home movie)

1 Like

Some context as to your network setup and how you are determining you have slow speed issues would help others try and diagnose your issues. What specific My Cloud model do you have? What firmware is it running? Are the My Cloud, your “server”, and any computers accessing the My Cloud, connected to a gigabit capable router? Avoid using network extenders or powerline extenders. Avoid using WiFi, use direct Ethernet connections if possible.

There are many factors that can impact how fast one can copy to/from a My Cloud device including the network connection itself, how many files being copied and how large each of those files are, the speed of the hard drives themselves, improper network configuration or settings, computer is busy with other tasks or services.

If trying to use FTP from within the same local network as the My Cloud you would use the IP Address of the My Cloud in the FTP client (FileZilla for example).

WD has the following Knowledge Base Article on FTP and the My Cloud that may be relavant.

My Cloud: Configure FTP Server Access
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/4749