How to restore DashBoard

Anyone know how to restore dashboard from console? I was trying to make changes to my cloud (secure some things)
and in the process i broke my dashboard, the http process isnt running and when i try to restart it nothing.

Thanks!

What changes did you make prior to breaking the Dashboard?

There are certain actions that if performed (like an “apt-get” to update the Linux firmware) may not be undone or be fixable short of running one of the unbricking procedures to push the “img” files to the two or three partitions on the My Cloud drive.

im pretty sure apt-get dist-upgrade did it… It was spitting out printf errors on nfs-kernel and i knew i was in trouble…didnt brick the device so im lucky there… Any suggestions?

As Bennor mentioned, you got a soft brick and might “not” survive a reboot. There’s a guide somewhere here about force upgrade using wd upgrade script to force push the latest firmware which could fix your rootfs. I’m not sure if it will work for recent firmware but just do a search. Else you can try fox_exe tftp method or worst case take out the hdd mount to a linux vm to dump a fresh rootfs on both 2gb raid partitions.

Thank you @Nazar78 for your reply. I read lot of your posts and they are very helpful. Device rebooted on power outage yesterday and came back up! Right now I am making sure everything is backed up…

While the device may not be bricked in the traditional sense running an unbricking procedure may be the only solution due to the firmware being corrupted. I would start with trying to perform a firmware update through SSH. Of course if you don’t have SSH active or available due to the corruption this won’t help. See the following thread for the basic directions for how to perform a firmware update through SSH:

https://community.wd.com/t/how-to-firmware-update-via-ssh/95476/2

@Bennor thank you so much for posting this info. I have been back and forth on what to do but will take your advice and see what i can do. And yes thank goodness i have SSH enabled or I would be in bad shape!!! Will post what happens!

good luck! lucky u… my 1st apt-get upgrade attempt was also the 1st dismantle couple of days after purchase :mask:

Sadly, lost of people do not realize this is NOT a full blown Linux distro until it is a bit late.
Learn from it, and BTW, it applies to just about any NAS device out there you buy as pre-build for home usage, regardless of brand.

Even though there are lots of custom software and programs for Linux, on these type of devices, only those packages compile for this specific build will work. There is also the option to compile your own if needed.

Yes. Lots of threads here were people ran an apt-get and borked their My Cloud.

WD should have their coders take 30 seconds to add some text to the generic warning message that pops up when one enables SSH to warn the user that running apt-get will cause all sorts of problems. Something like the following…

When you log in to SSH the first time, you’ll be prompted to change the default password. Not changing the password makes your device vulnerable to attacks.
Please log in to SSH immediately with the default credentials and change your password:
User Name root
Password welc0me
Please note that modifying or attempting to modify this device outside the normal operation of the product voids your WD warranty.

Hey you, yes you, if you do an apt-get you will cause your My Cloud to be unhappy. And when the My Cloud is unhappy, YOU will be VERY unhappy.

:laughing:

1 Like

Yes Bennor they should edit the /etc/motd to say exactly what you said. I wasnt going to use apt-get but checked my bash history and seen whoever setup the device ran apt-get install and some bootstrap commands so i figured what the heck! LOL

#cat /etc/motd