How to resolve Network shares access problems

@ImaDavid2

I am the person who posted this thread with the first message.  I agree there are a lot of idiotic comments that follow.  At the time this was posted there was a “lurker” and troublemaker pestering users; including me.  I have removed my original comments from this thread and reposted these helpful hints again so that all the junk in here is eliminated as it was totally distracting to the issue.  The new link is here:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/How-to-resolve-Network-shares-access-problems-with-WDTV-media/td-p/671513

In any event, this is one of the most useful threads at this site, because it simply explains one of the most-asked questions at the forum.  If some use this tip unsuccessfully, it is because something else in their network system is bunged.  This WORKS.

Also, I don’t need to worry about my XP machine and passwords.  It has been so long since I set it up that I forgot how, but I don’t have any password hassles, either, but then it is not the controlling PC in my network…  The Win 7 PC is the machine running the network and doing all the sharing of drives and folders anyway. 

You seem a bit confused about what the Win 7 control for password protected sharing actually states, so here is a screen shot of the control setting:

password protected sharing.JPG

I do NOT use PPS, so I have it turned off.  I have nothing to hide from others on my network, but if I did, it darn well would not be on the network!  I like to pick up my WD remote and go to my drives without any hassle, and that includes passwords. ( All described in the first post.)

Additionally, I cannot tell from your comments if you want to use passwords or not.  Maybe you don’t need to do anything in XP if you want no password protected sharing.  Like was commented above, there is likely a way to do it on XP as there is in Win 7.