How to resolve Network shares access problems

How do I install a media server?  Sounds like the solution.  I’m done with network shares.

I’ve been using “Media Server” ever since my WD decided it can’t find the Network Share (like, my computer). This happened three days ago (nothing has changed on my computer/network that I know of; no new software, etc.).

After spending two days trying to get the WD to “see” the Network Share that is my computer, it was either throw it against the wall or try “Media Server.”

Media Server is okay, BUT it seems to like ALL the data that was ever on the relevant HD (the drive is in my computer).

I’ve got eleven ‘pages’ of titles when there are maybe twenty items actually on the drive. And “File Management” doesn’t seem to work on a “Media Server” (at least not on mine). And perhaps it’s me, but I seem to have to “Share” every new item on the HD as it’s created (Win7 Pro, no Libraries).

Good luck.

If you can solve THAT part, please let me know.

OK so we have 4 pages of meaningless gobble-dee-**bleep** as it does not relate to the issue at hand.  What everyone seems to acknowledge is turning off the password protection works in Windows 7 ( and possibly Vista).  However for those of us using XP, (me included) there is no such animal to turn on and off.   Still waiting for a plausible answer other than to assume I should just 'throw my WD against the wall"

Not to be dismissive but people still on Windows XP need to move on. After april Microsoft won’t even be providing security updates.  There is certainly no reason to expect 3rd party hardware and software developers to maintain backwards compatibility.  I do understand wanting to use still functioning hardware and to that end suggest if upgrade to Windows 8 is neither possible or desireable an alternative might be to install a flavor of linux that would run on your hardware and be able to function as a file/media server.

ImaDavid2 wrote:

However for those of us using XP, (me included) there is no such animal to turn on and off.

Really?

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/turn-off-password-protected-sharing-xp-54770.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040/en#

Also, it should work with passwords on cause that’s ho I’m doing it on my Win7 system.

Thanks for the read Tech but my post alluded to the fact that in XP there is no specific option to turn file sharing passwords on or off.  In the read you posted, Simple File Sharing by default in XP is ON ( ie checkmark in the option box) which results in not requiring a password and if you turn Simple File Sharing OFF ( no checkmark in the box) you will be required to enter a password.  I am still at the same problem. Simple File Sharing has a checkmark in the box, Clear Network logon information on the WD screen has been done and I am still being told INVALID USERNAME OR PASSWORD.

What happens when you enter ‘anonymous’ and no password?

@ImaDavid2

I am the person who posted this thread with the first message.  I agree there are a lot of idiotic comments that follow.  At the time this was posted there was a “lurker” and troublemaker pestering users; including me.  I have removed my original comments from this thread and reposted these helpful hints again so that all the junk in here is eliminated as it was totally distracting to the issue.  The new link is here:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/How-to-resolve-Network-shares-access-problems-with-WDTV-media/td-p/671513

In any event, this is one of the most useful threads at this site, because it simply explains one of the most-asked questions at the forum.  If some use this tip unsuccessfully, it is because something else in their network system is bunged.  This WORKS.

Also, I don’t need to worry about my XP machine and passwords.  It has been so long since I set it up that I forgot how, but I don’t have any password hassles, either, but then it is not the controlling PC in my network…  The Win 7 PC is the machine running the network and doing all the sharing of drives and folders anyway. 

You seem a bit confused about what the Win 7 control for password protected sharing actually states, so here is a screen shot of the control setting:

password protected sharing.JPG

I do NOT use PPS, so I have it turned off.  I have nothing to hide from others on my network, but if I did, it darn well would not be on the network!  I like to pick up my WD remote and go to my drives without any hassle, and that includes passwords. ( All described in the first post.)

Additionally, I cannot tell from your comments if you want to use passwords or not.  Maybe you don’t need to do anything in XP if you want no password protected sharing.  Like was commented above, there is likely a way to do it on XP as there is in Win 7.

Thanks Mike:  I agree this is a very useful thread as (for me and I’m sure others) if anything it provokes thought about what the heck is or is not going on with WD.  The screen shot you posted is not in XP; if it is I certainly can not find it.  As for passwords, I do not want passwords as I agree with you; anything I want to share better not be personal so I too have nothing to hide by sharing.   I think my problem is one of two issues; either the WD device is somehow messed up since I updated to firmware 2.01.86 and it just isn’t the same since rolling back the firmware ( although I can not imagine why anything would get messed up) or there is some switch in XP that I have not found that is incorrectly set that the WD sees as needing a username and password.  Anonymous is in the username field and there are a bunch of asterisks in the password box.   Because of this community I have come to learn Anonymous means ‘blank’ and the * means the field is empty.  Prior to the 2.01.86 firmware update, I could access my shared files without using any username or password and to the best of my recollection, I have not altered anything on my PC that would now require the WD to ask for passwords.   I’m stumped and will keep looking both through my PC setup and the contributions from this community.

Lots of folks have had issues with that recent update like you have.  I have a different WDTV than the SMP. so fortunately I have not experienced the problem.  I don’t think it has been fixed yet, either, with a new firmware.  This is unacceptable in my opinion.

To experienced guys:  Has this issue been fixed yet?

Still tells me that I have entered an Invalid Username or Password

Apparently you have other issues going on.