How to password protect folders In my cloud?

I have my folders mapped and can access them through Windows. (BTW: this is how to best do your transfer of file/ folders instead of using the clunky my cloud desktop app - map the folders as drives in your network settings and the instructions in the user manual are very clear on how to do this).  Anyway, I was wondering if you can password-protect folders using Windows for my cloud?

dslam21 wrote:

I have my folders mapped and can access them through Windows. (BTW: this is how to best do your transfer of file/ folders instead of using the clunky my cloud desktop app - map the folders as drives in your network settings and the instructions in the user manual are very clear on how to do this).  Anyway, I was wondering if you can password-protect folders using Windows for my cloud?

normally you create share folder and assign it to a user, then no one can access the maped share , only the user with password. lets say you have 3 users , so create 3 shared drive and 3 user account. and assign each share to different user. when you map it , you can access it with user password.

also any share can have more then one user so common items can be shared as needed.

you also need to turn off public access to the share before you can assign users

media streaming/DLNA does not support security and anyone on the LAN can view items on any share with media serving enabled. this is how DLNA works, not a WD issue

larryg0 wrote:

also any share can have more then one user so common items can be shared as needed.

you also need to turn off public access to the share before you can assign users

media streaming/DLNA does not support security and anyone on the LAN can view items on any share with media serving enabled. this is how DLNA works, not a WD issue

So there is no way to protect the  ‘Public’ share with the ‘Shared Videos’, ‘Shared Music’, and ‘Shared Pictures’ folders?

If true that is just silly.  It is very easy depending on the OS used to delete or move a file.  I can understand read access for everyone but not full control.

Say it isn’t so…

It is is, its a “public” folder, password protecting it completely defeats the purpose of public. Its not “password protected public”.

Create new shares with user access and make your media folders in them, or turn off the PUBLIC service for that share and assigned user permissions.

I don’t use the public share for this reason. I understand why the created it as a default share but they should allow you to disable or delete it if you don’t want it.

the only “good” I see for this is if someone is visiting and we need to pass files back and forth this would make it easy

I was able to delete it, no issues.

I deleted all the default shares immediately when I setup my WD Cloud.