How to hook up a WDTV via composite?

Awesome! Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

Looking at this thread and wondering if this is for me. Older tv. Have the av and audio out/in puts on the tv and DVR. No HDMI or any thing like that on either tv. Does the wd media player have a plug in on it somewhere(looking at your posted photo with cables coming from it) that you plug the composite cable that comes with it (one part of cable come with player plugs into player and you then have 2 av plugs (white and red) and a video plug (yellow) coming out from the media player that plug into your tv or my case my DVR recorder and then I have the DVR recorder hooked to the tv? Sound right? If you put the media player into your DVR and say you play a YouTube video on your tv through the wd media player, can you record it to your DVR hard drive since the wd media player goes through the DVR? Almost like if it was cable, the DVR should record what’s playing. I have a small wifi device I use for my internet that doesn’t have an Ethernet port for it to connect to anything. It’s just a tiny portable device I charge up and surf the net on. I usually have my iPad connected to it. I thought about getting the Google Chrome stick to send my iPad through it to my tv to watch YouTube videos on a bigger screen but the tv doesn’t have a port for the chrome, that’s why I thought about alternative sources like the wd media player. Am I looking at the right product and hook up sound about right? Any idea if places still carry the media player and approx cost?

Thanks. Sorry to bother you.

Yes you can connect the WDTV to the composite input of your DVR

Recording should be fine (i’ve done it) … as for Youtube, i havent tested that

(mainly because, i download video’s digitally from Youtube on my PC … and not in real-time eg. i can download a video that goes for about an Hour in about 5-10 Mins … then play it back on the WDTV)

* i use either Video DownloadHelper [firefox plugin] or 4K Downloader

Recording Youtube on a DVR via Analog (composite) … Quality is reduced and it’s real time recording … an hour video will take an hour to record.

I am not sure but does this help any?

The WDTV I received was from a relative in my family so it has been used, and also he purchased it when WD first released it in 2008. The other thing that might help is that this WDTV does not have one composite jack but it has the three one for yellow (video) and red/white (audio). Also, this is the WD TV HD Media Player.

1.) where could I buy the 1 male end that plugs in with 2 red male splitter?

2.) where could I buy 1 male end that plugs in with 2 white male splitter?

I am asking because I am not having luck finding them.

rocky12 wrote:
1.) where could I buy the 1 male end that plugs in with 2 red male splitter?

2.) where could I buy 1 male end that plugs in with 2 white male splitter?

I am asking because I am not having luck finding them.

The color on the splitters are irrelevant – use whatever color you can find.