How to find Public folder on Windows 10?

I use my My Cloud Home partly to serve music for my Sonos system. The path where the music folder is saved is: //MYCLOUD-xxxxxx/Public/iTunes/Music

However, I have recently moved house and changed internet service provider (and thus router - although this may be nothing to do with any problem), and whilst I can access the shared areas on the MCH as normal through app and website, the Public folder is no longer visible, or accessible on my network. This means that I can’t add to or edit anything in this folder in order to keep my Sonos music library up to date.

I am getting the following error message when I try to access the Public folder from a pinned shortcut:

“//MYCLOUD-xxxxxx is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.”

Sonos does continue to work as normal, however, so the folder is definitely still there and accessible.

I would appreciate any direction on how I can go about accessing the Public folder on my laptop once more. I am running Windows 10.

First guess, you might need to delete that old shortcut and create a new one - it may well have cached the specifics of the box e.g. its old IP which are no longer valid on the new network even though it’s clearly there and working.

Thanks for your response, but unfortunately this doesn’t work.

When I try to map the drive I get an error message:

“Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network.”

Any other suggestions?

@richg44 If you have a My Cloud Home maybe this link will help.
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27493/kw/Family%20Folder%20My%20Cloud%20Home

You can search the Knowledge Base too for more answers.

This lack of success isn’t necessarily a failure - if you now have a different error message then it means something actually happened and it was not totally futile :slight_smile:

Are you browsing the network to find it or typing in the name? Assuming this is still the Public folder you are trying to get to - check against what the Sonos (and/or control app) is showing to make sure but there may well be things thaty don’t get properly refreshed/updated until you do the ‘browse network’ bit.

As you presumably haven’t changed any settings then the difference is the network - what network-wise is between the various devices and whether e.g. the router has limits on a wired interface that it doesn’t have on a wireless interface, or even that the network has a different name and you need to tell Windows/firewall that this new network is trustworthy, or that the IP range is different from the one that Windows previously trusted.

Sorry, I know it’s a lot of possibilities to throw in and/or remind you of but there might be something in there that either fixes it or sparks a memory of ‘how I un-broke it last time’ which is usually what happens to me!

Thanks for your suggestions. I ended up calling WD support earlier today in order to try and solve the problem - they were really helpful, and they did!

Some of network discovery settings needed to be changed, and I also had to re-map the drive using it’s IP address rather than the address that worked previously for me. Couldn’t explain why!