How to connect My Cloud without modem?

Hello!

Before my holidays I did have My Cloud connected with my laptop by Ethernet cable and Usb 3.0 cable.

Had some great holidays and have totally forgot how to get My Cloud connected again!

Please help! All the holiday photos are waiting to be moved from the camera. :slight_smile:

Thank You so much!

Read the My Cloud User Manual, in particular, Appendix C: Troubleshooting:

My router has failed. How do you manually map the drive letter?

1. Power down the device.
  2. Connect the device directly to the computer’s Ethernet port.
  3. Power up the device. Wait until the LED turns blue before proceeding.
  4. For Windows XP and Windows 7, on the Start menu:
    a. Click (My) Computer.
    b. Click My Network Places (Windows XP) or Network (Windows Vista/Windows 7).
    c. Select wdmycloud.
    d. On the Tools menu, click Map Network Drive.
  5. For Windows 8, click the File Explorer icon , and in the ribbon (top of page), click
    Computer > Map Network Drive.
  6. Select wdmycloud.
  7. Leave the drive set to the default letter.
  8. In the Folder box, type the following path: \device name\public.
    Note: The default device name is WDMyCloud.
  9. Click Finish.
  10. Go back to the opening window of (My) Computer to view the Public folder of your
    device under Network Drives.

The USB cable should NOT be connected to the laptop.

I’d recommend connecting your camera (or the memory card) to your computer, and transferring pictures via your computer, rather than trying to plug it into the MyCloud’s USB port.

In order to connect your My Cloud directly to your PC

1 - power up your My Cloud without using the ethernet cabl3 and wait for the yellow light to appear
2 - have your computer nearby and running. after seeing the yellow led on My Cloud connect to you computer using an ehternet cable
3 - wait for the activity led on My Cloud to turn from yellow to blue. at this point you should be able to map a network drive on your computer

####The USB3 cable should only be used to connect another device to your My Cloud

If you’d like to share the contents of your My Cloud with other computers in your area you can connect an ethernet switch directly to the My Cloud and connect all computers with an ethernet port directly to the switch. This will create a home network without the benefit of internet connectivity

1 Like

Thank you for your kind advice! :slight_smile:

The trick was your advice to leave the ethernet cable out at first!
In case the Ethernet cable was connected to the laptop from the very beginning
it was unable to map My Clouc on my laptop’s explorer.

But when I disconnected that Ethernet from my laptop and booted the laptop and then only afterwards connected the Ethernet cable to my laptop and then waited for some minutes… then My Cloud was to be seen on explorer! :slight_smile:
I had thought that both Ethernet cable and Usb3 cable are needed to connect My Cloud to a laptop ( while there is no modem in use )
But… no I did check and it seems that My Cloud is shown in Explorer without Usb3! :slight_smile:

1 Like