How to change backup drive to regular drive?

I have a My Cloud EX2 Ultra. There are 2 4tb drives in the bay. I need to use both as regular drives, with no backups. How can I do this? My EX2 is up to date but I can’t find any settings that cover this. I understand the risk of no backups etc.

The closest I’ve found is to change the RAID mode to spanning, but that would delete all my data and I am trying to avoid that. I am okay with two separate logical drives.

What does this even mean?

Are you trying to turn this 2x4TB Raid 1 into a non-redundant 8TB system?

Not sure that is possible:

• Spanning will wipe both drives, and the end result will be a single 8TB logical drive with NO REDUNDANCY. Lose one drive: All data on both drives gone. (similar to Raid 0. . .but not quite). I would avoid this.
  • JBOD will create two separate 4TB volumes (logical drives). Advantage is if you lose one drive. . .the other is unaffected.

What I would do?

• Backup all data to an external drive.
  • Verify that the drives are not SMR (Model number contains: EFAX). If so - - - replace with CMR drives (red pro or Red Plus drives in WD line. NOT WD red)
  • Go JBOD mode.
1 Like

Thank you, JBOD mode is what I was looking for. Somehow couldn’t find that in the manual until I searched the term.