How to avoid duplicates in My Cloud Home Duo?

Hi all,

I know there are already a few threads regarding duplicates with auto-backup but I just could not find a solution. Maybe, someone has an idea or WD comes up with a solution for this annoying issue.

Setup:

• My Cloud Home Duo, 8 TB, Software 9.5.0-186
  • 2 Users
  • iPhone 12 - auto-backup camera roll
  • iPhone 13 - auto-backup camera roll

Problem description:
I noticed multiple duplicates in the “iPhone USER Camera Roll Backup” folder. Files that have already been synced seem to be synced again - adding “_1”, “_2” etc. at the end of the file name. I can’t recognize any pattern why this is happening - looks random. Some files appeared > 30 times!

So, I deleted all duplicates (ca. 10.000 of 40.000 files) in the Backup folder and only kept the originals.
What happened next is that the iPhone My Cloud app tried to sync ALL files from iPhone to the Backup folder, creating duplicates again. This makes no sense - why does it not recognize that the files already exist in Backup? Of course, I checked whether the duplicates already exist on the iPhone but this is definitely not the case.

There is a hint that turning auto-backup off and on might cause issues like that. But it has always been activated since the initial setup months ago.

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this issue?
Or is the only solution to turn off auto-backup and do it all manually? (I mean, what is the purpose of such a backup system…)

Many thanks in advance & best regards!

This thread may help: