How MBL duo connect with 2 PCs and company LAN through a 5-port switch

Hi, I have the following hardware to connect. 1. Two PCs with win 7 2. One My Book Live Duo (6TB) 3. Cisco 5-port 1Gbps switch (SD2005) I want to connect all this to university LAN to access the internet. I have connected every thing to switch ports. My both PCs can access university LAN and internet but when I try to discover MBL duo, I can not. I can’t access my MBL. Question: What should I do to get connected to MBL drive? I know very little about computer networking. Any help or pointers will be appreciated. Thanks, Khalid.

khalidjamil007 wrote:
Hi, I have the following hardware to connect. 1. Two PCs with win 7 2. One My Book Live Duo (6TB) 3. Cisco 5-port 1Gbps switch (SD2005) I want to connect all this to university LAN to access the internet. I have connected every thing to switch ports. My both PCs can access university LAN and internet but when I try to discover MBL duo, I can not. I can’t access my MBL. Question: What should I do to get connected to MBL drive? I know very little about computer networking. Any help or pointers will be appreciated. Thanks, Khalid.

Contact your university IT department.   I would assume they’re in a better position to help you than we are.

Universities often have very specific policies regarding what kind of equipment can be connected to their networks, as well as having specific requirements to which that equipment must adhere.

I did not want to complicate the scenario for the question. As a matter of fact, I have two network cards. I can access university LAN directly from one network card without the switch. 

I needed the switch to share MLB between my two computers. How can I do this with a switch? So, how to setup two computers and MLB through a switch?

Thanks,

Khalid.