How many external drives/ reliability!

Hi again! I have recently filled my 3TB WD Essentials external HD connected through the front USB port, I have the back one free, and was wondering if I could buy another 3TB External and have it plugged in and have both working in tandem.

If this is possible, does anyone have any experience with this sort of set up? And if so what are the speed implications of both playback, and menu speed/ accessing files… would this cause there to be a decrease in quality and/ or an increase in lagging frames?

Thank you if anyone could advise me on this matter (obviously both externals would have their own power sources, so imagine power wouldn’t be an issue either??)

Thanks again!

No issues. I often have my 3tb Hitachi and a 32gb thumbdrive connected to the Hub at the same time and notice no difference in streaming or copying functions between the two.

1 Like

Thanks for this! I heard somewhere on here that there was a limit to the size of drives you can have attached being 3TB, I don’t suppose I might be misinformed?

cIRca2011 wrote:

Thanks for this! I heard somewhere on here that there was a limit to the size of drives you can have attached being 3TB, I don’t suppose I might be misinformed?

That’s the limit for a single external drive, not the aggregate total of all connected drives. And I think the latest firmware may have raised it beyond that.

1 Like

That’s great, I’ll give that a go then. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Hi, just to let you know, I use a powered USB hub attached to the Live Hub, with a 3TB and 2TB attached - no probs at all.  Good luck :).

Now using a 4 bay (Mediasonic) in one of the two ports (they also sell an 8 bay $$).

The second port I have a powered 7x usb hub, with 4 Fantom drives. These are all green drives and are powered on always, but they do go to sleep mode and take just a bit of time to wake back up, when needed. (saves power, heat & energy)

I have another drive for  3D, another with family, music & photos and can still plug in another work drive.(I turn on when needed)

All can be on at the same time and supporting multiple devices.  Several high rez streams at once can decrease your video quality.  I now have 3 WDLiveHubs, all working together (one acts as a server, with all the drives plugged into it) I only use a computer to transfer/edit files.

Hope this helps, Dan :smiley: