How I get my .mp4 files working on the Live

So my Live wouldn’t play some .mp4 files at all. I don’t know how common this problem is, or if what works for me will work for everyone else, but here goes. I finally found a program called mkvmerge v3.3.0 that did the trick. And it’s easy too, just add the file and click on “start muxing”. It will demux the file and remux it as a .mkv with no loss of quality. A 4GB file took about 2 mins and it works perfectly.

Hope this can help someone else with the same problem.

Cheers!

It’s also a good idea to select the MP4 audio track and under the “Format specific options” checkmark the AAC box.  This solves all audio sync issues with MP4 files.

Well you probably know something I don’t, but tooltip reads something like “Not needed for tracks read from .MP4 file” ?

Or you can use mp4muxer and remove one of the two audio files and keep the best one, i did that to all my mp4’s and they read perfect now :slight_smile:

Beorn wrote:

Well you probably know something I don’t, but tooltip reads something like “Not needed for tracks read from .MP4 file” ?

Tooltip knows nothing about the Live .

Well I don’t have any audio sync issues, but i’ll keep it in mind.  But until such time i’ll take the word of someone who wrote a program that fixes my problem, over the word of some random internet forum guy who throws stuff out there without explaination.

Yep, that’s me, just a random guy here who posts a couple of times like yourself .

Beorn wrote:

Well I don’t have any audio sync issues, but i’ll keep it in mind.  But until such time i’ll take the word of someone who wrote a program that fixes my problem, over the word of some random internet forum guy who throws stuff out there without explaination.

So why should we take any notice of you!!

@mkelley

well to me you are, because I don’t patrol these forums and look in every thread. Maybe you’re the guy who created the WDTV, maybe you’re just an internet troll…? If you explained your opinion instead of using the “because I say so” attitude, maybe I would hold you in a higher regard? Right now I don’t think anything of you, good or bad. And no offence is intended.

@ richUK

Because instead of giving one sentence answers like seems to be the standard around here(?), I actually created a whole post, explaining what the problem was and what solution worked for me, and how I did it, including a link.

On my part no offense was taken –   someone who is new to the board here like yourself doesn’t have enough credibility for me to concern myself with.

Now, your advice is indeed good, but trying to downplay others advice simply because you are making assumptions is dangerous (you should always remember what “assume” means :>).  It’s particularly odd since the advice I gave doesn’t negate what you said, and  isn’t difficult or harmful and someone who IS having sync issues might very well need it.

But as I said, I’m not really concerned with you (and no offense is intended by that) but by the others who might read this and thus might need what I added.  For that I’m satisfied it was mentioned and explained.

“someone who is new to the board here like yourself doesn’t have enough credibility for me to concern myself with.”

Well that goes both ways, someone who averages 4-5 posts per day over 3.5 months in a forum for a cheap mediaplayer spends way too much time here, unless they’re employed by WD… are you? I prefer to look at the content of the post rather than the postcount.

Either way doesn’t matter. I came here to share a solution to a problem in a friendly manner. I hope it can help someone, and I hope your contribution is valid and helps someone too.

“Kirk out”

Beorn wrote:

@mkelley

well to me you are, because I don’t patrol these forums and look in every thread. Maybe you’re the guy who created the WDTV, maybe you’re just an internet troll…? If you explained your opinion instead of using the “because I say so” attitude, maybe I would hold you in a higher regard? Right now I don’t think anything of you, good or bad. And no offence is intended.

@ richUK

Because instead of giving one sentence answers like seems to be the standard around here(?), I actually created a whole post, explaining what the problem was and what solution worked for me, and how I did it, including a link.

Granted, but you obvious have not read any of the other posts written by Mike which does go into great detail. He has mentioned mkvmerge a number of times and you will find in fact that he is the biggest fan of .mkv files on this board. Under his name you will find the number of posts he has made (463) and all to do with the problem users have with playing files - which ironically he does not have. This board is supported by users just like yourself and we are just sharing our experience.

Beorn wrote:

“someone who is new to the board here like yourself doesn’t have enough credibility for me to concern myself with.”

Well that goes both ways, someone who averages 4-5 posts per day over 3.5 months in a forum for a cheap mediaplayer spends way too much time here, unless they’re employed by WD… are you? I prefer to look at the content of the post rather than the postcount.

Either way doesn’t matter. I came here to share a solution to a problem in a friendly manner. I hope it can help someone, and I hope your contribution is valid and helps someone too.

“Kirk out”

Its a hobby Captain - I can obviously see that you don’t use social networking sites if you think 4 or 5 posts a day are huge. Come to think of it, its plainly obvious that you don’t use any form of social networking. On your travels through the galaxy have you come across ‘retired people’, if not you have now.

Beorn wrote:someone who averages 4-5 posts per day over 3.5 months in a forum for a cheap mediaplayer spends way too much time here

Actually, on that point I think we both agree (LOL). 

The only thing in my defense (slim as it is) is that I am often doing other things on my computer that I need to wait for (either compiling, encoding, or rendering) and thus the forums are a pleasant way to pass the time and possibly be helpful (unlike my wife and daughter, who enjoy wasting *their* time doing their facey books, texting and twittering tweeting).  I don’t begrude anyone how they use their time – it’s truly the only thing we have we can call our own – but I do often wonder if I’m wasting my own here.

And, as Rich implies, I get some rewards from the fellowship of folks such as himself and the ability to, from time to time, help some others find as much enjoyment from this inexpensive media player as I have.  I did it for years for the iPod (before anyone even knew what an iPod was) and now that I’m no longer needed on the Apple forums I think I’ve found a small home here.

@ richUK

Well this isn’t a social networking site, this a is a support forum for a cheap media player. Apples and oranges.

I can see that you’re both quite decent fellows, and we probably got off on the wrong foot. I’m off, atleast until I encounter a new problem with the Live. Have a nice day/year/life !

mkelley wrote:

Beorn wrote:someone who averages 4-5 posts per day over 3.5 months in a forum for a cheap mediaplayer spends way too much time here

Actually, on that point I think we both agree (LOL). 

I don’t agree…lol.