How I finally got reliable network shares ... finally

I’m knocking on wood several times while typing this but things have been consistenly successful with Network Shares for a while.  I’m not saying this will work for everybody but I for the last three weeks but I’ve had no network problems (no dropped shares, no invalid id passwords).   

I turned off the master browser settings for all but one PC by setting the registry values as seen in this link

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc959923.aspx

And having one consistent master browser has at least for now solved my issues.  

I noticed once in the last two weeks that one of the WDTV’s set itself as the Master Browser.  Things worked fine for a week but I decided to  specify one PC as the explicit Master Browser.   I ended up powering down all the WDTV’s (by unplugging) and then using the technet article to set the one PC as the Master

Hello,

Thanks for sharing this. Hope it helps other users.

OK, good luck, although the PC has to always remain on to stay the MB.  If there is any way you can get the router to be the MB, there would be no tinkering necessary with the registry

You hit the jackpot.  This is the only product I’ve had that required reg changes to make it work, but setting the master browser is the way go,

Spending the money to get a router that will allow you to set it as the master browser is kind of stupid unless you are looking for an excuse to go buy a new router.  Telling people, “if you really want this to work, go buy a new router” is just terrible advice, the last thing a new customer wants to hear.

Besides, assuming the pc that has your shares is the one that you set as a master browser, if it is not on who cares if the WDTV can’t see anything on the network due to no master browser?  The PC with your shares is off!

The one fly in the oinment here is when you introduce new devices to your network.  A new device = something else that could want to be the master browser, so that is something you have to stay on top off.   WD has been working, doesn’t now = think about what has been added recently to your network.

Spending the money to get a router that will allow you to set it as the master browser is kind of stupid unless you are looking for an excuse to go buy a new router.  Telling people, “if you really want this to work, go buy a new router” is just terrible advice, the last thing a new customer wants to hear.

I don’t recall anyone teiing anyone else to go buy a new router.  Some people could have a router that can be MB and not even know it!