How do you rip your Bluray movies?

I have been collecting movies for years now. Kinda a hobby for me I guess… Years ago I decided I like the digital movies after kids were always scratching up and breaking my DVDs. So I used to use DVDShrink and make backups, then when disc would get scratched, Id just go burn a new one…

well then came Blurays and I never really figured out best way to do it.  I started using a program called makemkv and it worked fine, but only on my older bluray discs… doesnt seem to work on newer ones. I then bought a program called ANY DVD HD and tried using it along with makemkv… then someone suggested using ClownBD or something… got it, but never really used it… so I took about a year or so off from ripping my movies…

Last weekend I bought the WD TV Hub and wanna get all my bluray discs ripped so I can put on here. So here I am, asking what is the best way?  I know if you just make an exact duplicate of a bluray disc, its like 40GB or something. Well thats too big and I never use the extras anyway. What i would like in a perfect world would be to rip the main feature only and no loss of quality, so keep 1080p video and full sound as it is on the disc… and hopefully have the video around 10-15GB instead of 30-40gb… is this possible?

thanks ahead of time guys

Yes, it is.  I use DVDFab Bluray Ripper.  You can choose the main movie and just remux it into an .mkv container without compression.  I’ve run into some Blurays that MakeMKV has trouble with so that’s why I use DVDFab.  Yes, it **bleep** that it’s not a free option but it works well.

so is that the only program you have to use? i dont want a solution where i have to use 3-4 programs to get the end result…

what size file do you typically end up with?

HERE is a list of BD decrypters.

Any DVD or DVDFab Passkey are both on the fly decrypters.  So if you use them you can use just about any tool you want to rip the BD.

Okay guys, please correct me if I am wrong or off here. But this is what I know (or at least think i know) right now…

Option 1) makemkv - will make main feature only in mkv file

Option 2) anydvdHD - will make full movie ISO or Folder with files

Option 3) anydvdHD, then mergemkv - will make full movie, then remove extras down to mkv file

Option 4) anydvdHD, then ripbot - will make full movie, then remove extras down to main feature file

Option 5) ClownBD - main feature down to ISO but not media file?

so whats difference in 3 and 4? is there? does one do a better job, one faster? one better quality? Obviously, option 1 seems best, but im concerned it wont always work. Option 2 seems easy, but im concerned with file space, rather have 10-15gb files than 40gb files. Dont think option 5 will work for me as my WDTV wont play ISO files.

00bolt wrote:

so is that the only program you have to use? i dont want a solution where i have to use 3-4 programs to get the end result…

what size file do you typically end up with?

Yes, it’s the only program i use.  I just ripped Memento (about a 2 hour movie) and it was 15GB uncompressed.  That’s just the movie with the main audio track.

cool, i think i like this option because of simplicity… how long does a typical movie take?

00bolt wrote:

Okay guys, please correct me if I am wrong or off here. But this is what I know (or at least think i know) right now…

Option 1) makemkv - will make main feature only in mkv file

Option 2) anydvdHD - will make full movie ISO or Folder with files

Option 3) anydvdHD, then mergemkv - will make full movie, then remove extras down to mkv file

Option 4) anydvdHD, then ripbot - will make full movie, then remove extras down to main feature file

Option 5) ClownBD - main feature down to ISO but not media file?

so whats difference in 3 and 4? is there? does one do a better job, one faster? one better quality? Obviously, option 1 seems best, but im concerned it wont always work. Option 2 seems easy, but im concerned with file space, rather have 10-15gb files than 40gb files. Dont think option 5 will work for me as my WDTV wont play ISO files.

AnyDVDHD is an on the fly decrypter, as it DVDFab Passkey.  Both decrypt the BD/DVD and allow you to use another program to do the acutal rip.

Hey guys. I know it’s all always a matter of opinion but the way I do it is as follows:

1. Rip movie only with MakeMKV - I’ve not had any troubles with doing this.  I think as long as you stay current with the software, you should be okay.  However, I have heard others having trouble.  Maybe I’m just lucky.

2. I run the MKV through Ripbot264.   Every now and then I’ll get a movie that the audio will become out of synch after this process but 98% of the time, it’s perfect.

Again, I’m no pro but this system works very well for me.   MakeMKV rips the BD movies in under 20 minutes.  Ripbot264 takes a good 9-12 hours on my computer but usually the quality is great and the file size is between 3-7 gig’s max.

Another reason I like this process is that it’s two steps and just works. 

00bolt wrote:

cool, i think i like this option because of simplicity… how long does a typical movie take?

20 mins

Do any of you guys compress a full BD down to an mkv file? Say a 50GB BD to a 10-15GB MKV file? How long does it take? The last time I read up on re-encoding was YEARS ago…back in the VCD days where it took about 2 hours to convert movies to another format.

I do this with DVDFab Blu-Ray Ripper in one step. I select the main movie and audio track, then use the mkv AC3 preset, tweak the settings a little, and about 2-3 hours later I have my final compressed mkv.