How do you hide files so the wdtv does not list it

I have some movies on my external hard drive that I do not want listed under the video menu’s on the WDTV.  My kids watch and some of the movies are not appropriate for them and I dont want them to have access.  However I want them to be able to watch their stuff on their own.  How do I do that??  Do I have to partition my drive?/  Would that do any good??  The wdtv seems to find everything.  Is there something on the WDTV that can accomplish this??   Thanks

Best way would be to have two drives and one of them password protected (or “locked” as they seem to call it).  You can also do this for network shares, of course.

Thanks.  So the WDTV will not list it with the rest of the videos?  Would I have to go into  the folders and grab from there?  When I try to open the folder it will ask me for a password??

What if I hide the file thru windows.  Will that work??   But then I will not be able to play it?

If you are talking about a locked USB drive, according to the manual a USB device must be unlocked for the media player to access its contents, so I’m sure it won’t show anywhere until unlocked.  To unlock it you would have to go to the drive you wanted and select “Unlock” and then enter the password.

If you are talking about a network share you would not see the contents until you signed onto that particular share (assuming you password protect it). 

In either case you would have to navigate to the proper screen to make a selection and in either case you wouldn’t see any content until after you entered a password.  If you have an unlocked drive attached you would, of course, see that content without entering a password.

There isn’t any other way to do what you want that I know of because nothing you do could hide the file from the Live without, of course, making it impossible for you to see it any other way.

this is my BIGGEST complaint about the WDTV.

i’m on a shared network, hardwired to my router on my PC.  and when i have movie and music shared, it shows them all, regardless of which heading i’m under.  if i’m in videos, i don’t want to see my music and visa versa.

a major bug in the WDTV that i’m not sure they are working on or not, i doubt it.

Try starting its name with a dot.

example:

.Splash (2008).avi

brucered wrote:

i’m on a shared network, hardwired to my router on my PC.  and when i have movie and music shared, it shows them all, regardless of which heading i’m under.  if i’m in videos, i don’t want to see my music and visa versa.

a major bug in the WDTV that i’m not sure they are working on or not, i doubt it.

They are working on it – it’s moved from the “looking into it” to “working on it” queur (I can’t remember what the actual terms are, but it’s definitely been moved into development) as recently as a month ago or so.  I’m hopeful this will be resolved because all my thumbnails for my MKV files show up under video and I have to scan past them.

This has nothing to do with the original poster’s question, though (who wants to hide certain items from some people yet be able to see them himself) and thus we shouldn’t waste time complaining about it here (trust me, it’s my biggest complaint about the Live but my gut feeling is that if it’s not in the current beta it will at least be in the next one).

In the meantime you can work around this by putting your music and videos into separate shares (I can’t work around the thumbnail issue, though, since my thumbs have to be in the same directory as the videos to work).

mkelley wrote:

brucered wrote:

They are working on it – it’s moved from the “looking into it” to “working on it” queur (I can’t remember what the actual terms are, but it’s definitely been moved into development) as recently as a month ago or so.  I’m hopeful this will be resolved because all my thumbnails for my MKV files show up under video and I have to scan past them.

This has nothing to do with the original poster’s question, though (who wants to hide certain items from some people yet be able to see them himself) and thus we shouldn’t waste time complaining about it here (trust me, it’s my biggest complaint about the Live but my gut feeling is that if it’s not in the current beta it will at least be in the next one).

In the meantime you can work around this by putting your music and videos into separate shares (I can’t work around the thumbnail issue, though, since my thumbs have to be in the same directory as the videos to work).

thanks and sorry to the OP, didn’t mean to hijack the thread, i though this is what he was referring to.

but i am glad to hear it’s being looked into, it would make it a much much much, yes 3 much’s, better box if it was able to do the filtering and/or hiding of certain file types in network sharing.