How do you change themes?

Which browser are you using l had this same problem with Internet Explorer 8

Once l switched to Firefox it loaded after a few minutes you could try this

I use explorer 8 too, i´ll test firefox.

Thanks.

Firefox works great!!! mojo at first time in one minute. Internet Explorer has dead.

Thanks

Is there anyway I can put the mojo theme on a USB flash drive - stick the drive into the SMP and load the theme that way

as opposed to doing it with the web interface?

Alright, this is getting frustrating!

Surely there must be a “Guide to install themes on the WDTV Live SMP for Dummies”!

Spent the last few hours trying to install/load a theme onto the WDTV Live SMP. No success. Tried zipping the theme files, then putting it into USB flash drive. Then tried via connecting to my PC (wifi) where the original files are kept. The SMP sees all my folders but not the zip file!

Even the manual is useless in detailing how to install themes.

Anyone care to provide a step-by-step guide for noobs?

BTW, why does the theme files have to be in zip format? Is there an unzipping SW inside the SMP

BTW I had more success and wasted less time flashing a B-Rad firmware for my older WDTV Live!

wally3218 wrote:

Which browser are you using l had this same problem with Internet Explorer 8

Once l switched to Firefox it loaded after a few minutes you could try this

WTH has a browser got to do with installing themes onto the SMP?

omgWTH wrote:

Are you even reading the thread you’re posting in?   This is all explained in this very thread.

Hey OMGWTH,

Are you uploading the file via the browser on your computer?

Firstly ensure your SMP is switched on

On your PC you need to go to : Start/Computer/ Network(right hand side column) / Double click on the WDTV Icon (which will open up a page in your web browser, do it in Chrome  or Firefox as Internet Explorer will not work) / enter password  ADMIN /  click on appearance and browse for the zip file (dont upzip it - just ad the zip file as it is)

It will install it in a couple of mins.

If it comes up invalid file you are either using Internet Explorer or you havent zipped the correct files.

Go to your player once your browser shows as SUCCESSFUL.  Go to settings/ appearance  - then you will see the theme name you had installed - choose that and hit apply.

Good luck

TonyPh12345 wrote:

omgWTH wrote:

Are you even reading the thread you’re posting in?   This is all explained in this very thread.

Yes, I did, last night…and again today.

Nowhere did it actually detail exactly how to upload the themes. IE login to the WDTV Live SMP over the wireless from the PC, make FF the DEFAULT BROWSER instead of IE (otherwise IE will open up), go to appearance tab on window, click and it will ask me to browse for the files…etc.

Only when BgRoo pointed out above did it become very clear!

I think sometimes when people advise others on the web, they assume everyone is clued in to their trails/errors (remember that I wasn’t standing behind you when you uploaded your themes, therefore I didn’t see all the small steps you took…people forget that sometimes the smallest steps are the most important!). Would have been much better saying it the way BigRoo pointed out in the first place! Like I said, “HowTo for Dummies”!

Thanks, BigRoo…am trying it now.

…no luck…it sees all the zip files including Black Mamba V1.2 zip file (which I found out about from WP! Are you a red or grey?) which I downloaded and about 52.3MBs. The WDTV Live tells me…“Errors…invalid file…” in a red window! Then tried unzipping the DLed Black Mamba file and found it contains a folder, inside of which are 4 folders (including another folder named BM by D V1.2) and a text document. I then opened up this other BM V1.2 folder and zipped all the files/folders and tried to upload the zip file…no luck. Same error message. Even tried to change the name of the zipped files by putting a “.theme” at the end of the name…still no luck.

OK.

Found out that IZArc was compressing using RAR, not Zip…that must be why the initial error messages arose. Used 7Zip to maximum compress but the smallest zip size for actual BM folder is 33MB, but now still too big for the WDTV to upload!

BigRoo, how did you shrink the size further?

Thanks.

Okay.

Finally found out which files from the BM V1.2 to remove to shrink the size to under 30MBs. Thanks to ritaben in another thread…

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Themes/Black-Mamba-Theme-New-Update-V1-2-March-30th-2012/m-p/381883#M6892

who advised to delete the files in the Screenshots folder (I left the empty folder as is). The WDTV Live SMP has uploaded the smaller (~29MBs) zip file now.

Thank you.

Now to figure out where to put the BM Demo Folders…or whether its the same procedures as the WDTV Live ie

they stay within the same folders as the movies/MKV etc on the HDDs.

OMG,

you dont need the demo folders on your player.

They are simply there as a demo so you can see how your movies and sheets will display once you have set them up in thumbgen for example (if you wish to go this far)

The only thing you need to upload to the player is the zip file which includes : Image Folder, and empty screenshot folder and approx 57 assorted xml files.  Thats ALL

You dont need to put all this stuff into a folder and then zip it , just copy these exact files/folders into zip program, zip it, then upload.  Using Chrome , not Internet Explorer

edit: looks like you got the uploading part sorted

Good luck 

BigRoo wrote:

OMG,

you dont need the demo folders on your player.

They are simply there as a demo so you can see how your movies and sheets will display once you have set them up in thumbgen for example (if you wish to go this far)

The only thing you need to upload to the player is the zip file which includes : Image Folder, and empty screenshot folder and approx 57 assorted xml files.  Thats ALL

You dont need to put all this stuff into a folder and then zip it , just copy these exact files/folders into zip program, zip it, then upload.  Using Chrome , not Internet Explorer

edit: looks like you got the uploading part sorted

Good luck 

Yes, finally got it sorted. Was clueless initially, as everyone seems to assume that the layperson out there knows how to “install” a simple thing like a theme! Thanks to you and ritaben, got it sorted out. I posted those 3-4 previous posts so others may understand and install the themes in the least possible time and enjoy their Autumn or Spring day…outside during daylight hours and their movies nocte!

Edit: ATM using thumbgen (BM template) to generate new sheets and thumbnails…hoping the SMP/BM will display them. I have actually used thumbgen with my other WDTV Live and B-rad firmware.

cool bananas

dont forget to give me kudos on the posts that helped.

Cheers

1 Like

omgWTH wrote:

Okay.

Finally found out which files from the BM V1.2 to remove to shrink the size to under 30MBs. Thanks to ritaben in another thread…

If I help you here and under my other tag “benrita” on whirlpool, how about a click on kudos.

2 Likes