How do you change themes?

That’s good to know.  I have already resized my theme to be less than 30MB and uploaded for SMP users.

As for .theme extension, I was refering to how it is supposed to be uploaded to the theme website (according to the manual). Apparently though it uses a different standard for upload via the web UI.

Although, there really needs to be a better way to load themes on the SMP than having to flash it directly to it.  It’s going to make it a little hard to develop themes for it when you can’t make changes on the fly like you can with the HUB.

And just so that anyone who wants to know, I’ll be updating Mojo with a few changes specifially for  the SMP in the next few days.  The next update will include the RSS for the main menu.

I agree…  I would like to see them allow themes from Hard Disks (USB) instead of just the Web UI.

Are all themes (other than the one the player came with) 3rd party?

Do WD ever offer their own alternate themes?

Steve W

Yeah, at last count, there were four for the hub… one called “Legacy,” and a few holiday-themed Mochi’s.

Right.  How do I get a preview of these?  And if I like what I see how do I get one?

Is it easy?

Steve W

The only real previews that there are can be found HERE.  Also, I’d have to disagree with the term “3rd Party”, since it sounds like we themers are writing our data, when it’s actually just altering how the orginal theme looks by changing the size, placement and number of the images and the text and replacing the original images with our own.

There are actually 4 themes, at least for the HUB, that can be downloaded from the online data base.  To get these press “Setup” on your remote, the select “Appearance”, then select “User Interface Themes”.  If nothing appears press the red button on your remote and you should see “Online Database” at the top of the screen.

Select the theme you want, then Apply it.

1 Like

Done!

Many thanks.

Steve W

I just discovered that there are more themes on the WDTV SMP than we thought.  Go to Setup and select Appearance, then User Interface Themes.  Only the Mochi (Default) will show (unless you uploaded the neat Mojo…).

The trick is to now press the red button on your remote.  6 more themes will be shown.

Oops, I didn’t see the post just above saying the same thing.

A couple of questions.

1 What is ‘trickle’?

2 I’d like a theme where, when an item is selected, it becomes larger so that it is clearer which one is selected.  So any of these themes do that?

Cheers.

Steve W

Answer to 1.

Trickle is the effect of having thumbnails stacked from larger to smaller, in effect having look as though they “trickle” outward.  Trickle was a term coined by moviesheet developers, but I can’t tell you who first used it, to describe this effect.

Answer 2.

Yes, many of them do.  However, SMP users are limited because themes for the HUB (which is what most are designed for) have not been updated to be used with the SMP.  These themes will work, but you will lose some functions.

Is it likely that, in the near future, these will become available for the SMP?

If so, will I be able to change thene in the simple/standard way throught the SMP’s menu (Appearence - Themes - red button - download theme)? 

I am currently using (and rather like) the Adonized theme, BTW.

Cheers.

Steve W

Whether they will be updated for the SMP would be up to the developer of that theme.  So I am unable to tell you if they will or not, with the exception of mine.

It is also unknown if anyone will upload their themes to the WD theme site either, mine will not however due to it is too complex for a straight download.   I would also say that many of the other themes will not either because most of them require you to use Thumbgen in some from or another and are also too complex to just be downloaded without an explaination of how they need to be used.

As for the Anodized theme, this was developed by PsychoTHC and he has not updated his theme in a long time, so I would not count on it being updated, at least not any time soon.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

And well done to you and everyone on the themes.  A lovely idea, and clearly a real labour of love.

Stevw W

Hi guys  my files is now called mojo.zip , i copied everything except the root folder and repacked it mojo.zip . i deleted a few files now it under 30 mb … I am  trying now for hours it still saying please wait . Any suggestions please.

If you download the new updated file you shouldn’t have to do anything to it because it’s already packaged for the SMP.  It’s also been modified to be less than 30MB, so you don’t worry about deleting anything to make it small enough.

sorry for all the newbie questions ,

I download the file 29.5mb but winrar unpacked 30.179mb

I copy from Image all the way down then select extract to specify folder (finemane mojo1.zip)

Then i go to the folder and i copy again select add to achives to change file from mojo1 zip to mojo zip , file size is still 30.179mb …

what am i doing from … please help 

Don’t unpack it.

Install it as-is.

muchie wrote:

what am i doing from … please help 

Your unpacking it.  Just use the .zip file as is, you should have to do nothing to it.

ok last question i promise , after this i think i will just use regular theme .(at this since sunday)sighhh

So download the file again …It went directly  to my download folder …I went to web interface choose browse select  file ( i didn’t change or delete anything ) . Now i am still getting please wait  message for last 20  minutes .

what i don’t get is,  on sunday i uploaded the right version to smp now its no longer on my device  , now i can’t get this new one to work at all . 

I can´t upload the mojo theme to the smp, I wait for a long time with the message “wait”. Which´s the problem? Must i open a port on the router…?

Thanks.