I have a new laptop and a wd mypassoprt external from an older laptop. How do I set up the backup on the new laptop
To create a full backup of Windows 10 with the system image tool, use these steps:
- Open Settings .
- Click on Update & Security .
- Click on Backup .
- Under the “Looking for an older backup?” section, click the Go to Backup and Restore (Windows 7) option.
- Click the Create a system image option from the left pane.
- Select the On a hard disk option.
- Use the “On a hard disk” drop-down menu and select the location to export the Windows 10 full backup.
8… Click the Next button.
- (Optional) Select any additional hard drives to include them in the backup.
- Click the Next button.
- Click the Start backup button.
- Click the No button. Quick note: You’ll also receive a prompt to create a system repair disc, but because most devices no longer include an optical drive, you can skip it. If you have to restore the machine, you can use a USB installation media to access the recovery enviroment.
13… Click the Close button.
Once you complete the steps, the tool will create an image of the entire system that includes everything on the primary hard drive and other drives you may have selected.
While the backup is in progress, you can continue working on the device since it uses the “Shadow Copy” feature to backup files even if files are open and apps are running.
After the process is complete, you can disconnect and store the external drive in a safe place. If you have valuable data, you may want to consider keeping the backup in a different physical location.