How do I see the actual folders and not the media server folders on my TV Screen?

Recently I installed my WD MyCloud 6TB drive, and transferred about 200GB of data (music, photos, videos and personal data) from my desktop PC. My TV and the WD MyCloud are on the same network as my PC. Transferring data from my PC to WD MyCloud was easy. While I see my folder structure via Windows Explorer > Network > Public, I cannot see the same on my TV. When I access the drive, all I see are three folders (music, videos, pictures). I understand from one of the WD Community members that I am looking at the media server folders and not the actual folders. How can I find the actual folders (which I create for my convenience) on my TV Screen when I access the WD MyCloud? I have been browsing through WD My Cloud User Manual, but it is regrettably of no help.

What TV are you using? How is it connecting to the My Cloud? Using DLNA or some sort of File Manager?

Generally the folder structure for DLNA server/client material (which is what you appear to be seeing) is different than the folder structure used by file managers such as Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder. More on how to get the best use out of the DLNA server (Twonky) embedded within the single bay My Cloud units can be found at the following link:

https://community.wd.com/t/faq-twonky-dlna-media-server-setup-use/95373

Do you have a browser on your TV where you can go to mycloud.com and open them or open your My Cloud and see them?

Click on, tap or activate image to enlarge it.

As others have suggested, you are seeing the folders only one way, as presented by the My Cloud media server, and if this is a smart TV, you may be stuck with this view only. Although I do not have a smart tv, I do have other equipment for using and viewing my media folders. One way is I use a WDTV media player that gives me both views 1) as media server, and 2) as Network shares (i.e.Samba (SMB) view. I always use the SMB view and it all looks as it does on Win PC. Another way to view is by using an Amazon Fire TV stick with a media player installed on it called Kodi that allows for viewing either way like the WDTV. There are other ways and media players out there, too, that could be used. Bottom line is the smart tv is actually not so smart, because it only has the media server view and not the SMB view.You need an appropriate media player between the My Cloud and the TV. (BTW, the WDTV has been out of production for a few years now, so look into the FireTV/Kodi combo to keep your costs down.

So

There are several issues at play with how the folder structure is displayed when using DLNA. One is the Twonky media server on the My Cloud. One can access the Twonky Administration page (for example http://wdmycloud:9000) and change the " Navigation Tree" setting (to “By Folder” for example) for new and existing DLNA clients and see if that improves the folder display on the SmartTV. The Twonky media server coding has a bunch of predefined enteries for DLNA clients that may also affect the way things are displayed. The other issue is the DLNA client itself on the TV or other end device. One may be locked into a certain folder structure based on how the manufacturer coded the DLNA client

A third way to possibly deal with the structure is to use proper metadata tags, specifically those for the “album” and or “artist” then view the media by “album” or “artist” from the DLNA client menu. Once in Album view the DLNA client should list the content by “album” tag, same goes for Artist view. There are a number of free metadata tagging programs like MP3Tag (http://www.mp3tag.de/en/) and Media Monkey (http://www.mediamonkey.com/). The “comment” tag is also very useful for displaying information about the media on screen with those DLNA clients that support displaying the “comment” tag.

Unfortunately sometimes (many times?) iTunes doesn’t do a very good job at properly metadata tagging media files for use on non iTunes media servers like Twonky. I often have to go back into the iTunes ripped media files to change metadata tags to get them to display the way I want in Twonky.

Thank you all for your expert responses. I shall try to respond to all your questions/comments.

MY INFRASTRUCTURE: The TV I am using is: Samsung UE40F8000 - 3D led-tv - 40 inch - Full HD - Smart tv. My Cloud is not directly connected to TV, but to a LAN (Gigabit Ethernet) port of FRITZ!box 7369 which is a gateway solution for broadband access. The TV is also connected to another ethernet port (LAN) of FRITZ!box 7369. The operating system of my PC is Windows 10 Pro – 64 bit (with Creators Update). I have several browsers (Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome) all of them show the same webpage for http://wdmycloud/UI/ This one is an example from Google Chrome:

FILE STRUCTURE ON WINDOWS EXPLORER: This shows both the WD structure and the structure created by me (The folder Prabhu and its contents: Test Folder):

FILE STRUCTURE ON WEBPAGE MyCloud – via PC Web browser: Same as the one shown by Windows Explorer. I cannot play the contents of the Test Folder (of course).

FILE STRUCTURE ON WEBPAGE MyCloud – via TV Web browser: Same as the one shown by Windows Explorer. There are two issues to be noted here: (1) Opening the web browser on my TV where I can go to mycloud.com and open my My Cloud is a very labour intensive and user-unfriendly endeavor (2) Even though the two files (one mp4 and one FLAC) can be seen/opened, they cannot be played on TV.

FILE STRUCTURE ON TV: The TV recognizes WD MYcloud, and clicking on to it, it shows the TV-file structure, as defined by WD. It does not show the file I created (Prabhu, for instance):

TWONKY: I am yet to dwell into the deep waters of Twonky and as such I cannot comment. Metadata tagging looks circuitous and unwieldy. Do I have to tag all my files?

GENERAL: In general, based on what mike27oct is suggesting, it is disappointing for a simple user like me that I should have thought of all these well before even buying WD MyCloud because I have a Samsung smart TV. To resolve the conflict between these two equipments, should I buy one more equipment, like WDTV media player or the FireTV/Kodi combo? I do not understand why WD is not doing anything about this. The least what WD can do is to warn the potential buyers who also happen to own a smart TV. That their imposed folder structure hinders user-friendliness.

THANK YOU ALL.

There is NO conflict between the equipment. Rather its how each device is accessing the My Cloud. Windows computers typically use the Samba/SMB protocol to access the My Cloud Shares when using Windows File Explorer. Many/most SmartTV’s use the DLNA protocol to access media servers like the Twonky media server on the My Cloud. Each method displays the file structure slightly differently.

If the DLNA client on the SmartTV offers the option to “view by folder” when viewing the contents of the My Cloud, select that option and you can typically view the DLNA media contents of the My Cloud via the folder structure on the My Cloud.

As previously indicated you can access the Twonky administration page and change the navigation method used by the SmartTV. See Settings > Setup > Navigation Tree > Show > By Folder. And also see Settings > Sharing > Media Receivers > Show, then find your media receiver (your SmartTV) listing and change the Navigation Type to “By Folder”. When finished making the change(s), make sure to select “Save Changes”.

Using Windows File Explorer (in Windows 10) you can typically access the My Cloud using the DLNA protocol by selecting either of the icons illustrated in the graphic below.

1 Like

Thank you very much Bennor for your encouragement to use the DLNA protocol. While I am still trying, I am observing the following:

1. ON MY SAMSUNG TV: This has something called AllShare. Under Screen Menu > Network > AllShare Settings > Content Sharing, I am supposed to get a list of devices connected to the same network as the TV. I am not getting this list (which should include WDMyCloud). On MyCloud dashboard, http://wdmycloud/UI/ however, I see (under Settings>Media>View Media Players), that the DLNA Media server sees my Samsung TV as a Media Streaming Option.
  2. TWONKY ADMINISTRATION PAGE: I could follow your instructions and open the Twonky Administration page. I could do both (a) Settings > Setup > Navigation Tree > Show > By Folder and (b) Settings > Sharing > Media Receivers > Show, to find my media receiver (my SmartTV) already listed. The Navigation Type had also changed to “By Folder”. I also added a new folder under Sharing. When finished making the change(s), I made sure to select “Save Changes”. Your procedure works.
    BUT

nothing has changed: (a) Windows Explorer does not show the added folder (b) On the webpage of “MyCloud” neither (c) No change on the TV Screen. It still starts with 3 predefined folders: Videos, Music and Photos.
  3. [FAQ] TWONKY DLNA MEDIA SERVER & SETUP which you mentioned in this thread earlier on August 7 has an item: “You’ll need to know how to use the Twonky UI browser interface to control Twonky”:
    http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3299
    This link does not work.

I hope this helps so that you can advise me further. Thank you.

You may need to consult your Samsung TV’s user manual to ensure your TV is properly setup and connected to the local network. Along with how to access DLNA media servers on the local network.

There are a number of past complains/discussiosn about issues with the My Cloud and Samsung TV’s that can be found using the forum search feature (magnifying glass icon upper right). With certain DLNA clients you have to back all the way out of the media server then reaccess it for the client to properly update new files or folders that were added while the client was previously connected. In certain cases you may have to shut down/power off the TV then turn it back on for the client to properly update the new media server content.

For what ever reason WD removed the knowledgebase article (http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3299) on how to access the Twonky interface. But since it appears you already have accessed the Twonky interface you don’t need to review that now missing knowledgebase article.

1 Like

Thank you for your lightning response.

If you want to access all files on your TV, it will need a file manager. Does it have a file manager? Can you install a file manager?

Then, even if you can see the files using a file manager, will you be able to do anything with them? Do you have apps on your smart TV to view PDF files, or text files, or Word files
?

My TV does not have a file manager. Nor do I know how to install one. As I wrote earlier (on 9th August), it is possible to see the files, but I cannot play them (video or audio files). Thanks for thinking along.

That’s a problem with your TV, then, not the MyCloud. If you want advice on how to work your smart TV, and how to install apps on it to allow you to use the ‘smart’ features, it might be better to find a support forum for your TV.

Its not any of that. You have to place the media files into the right shared folders under public.
The Media server will only serve files from these public folders, so if you do not have the files there then the TV will not see them.

This is not correct. On a single bay My Cloud the embedded media server (Twonky) will serve up any supported media from any Share that has Media Serving enabled through the My Cloud Dashboard > Share page. This includes Shares that are set to Private. One does not have to store their media in the default Public Share on a single bay My Cloud.

Example screenshot of a Share with Media Serving enabled via the Dashboard > Share page:

Hello,
I am having a similar problem with the folders shared with DLNA.
I can see almost all of them except the folders where I am normally uploading all pics and movies from phone.
This file I can’t see it at all on my Samsung TV.
The TV is able to see the folders structure (I have set it up with Twonky) is able to play all movies but when I want to play movies made with phone
no folder.
If I want to see pictures from the same folders, I am entering in the pictures menu from TV and surprise suprise, the folders is there

Have no idea why this 2 folders are not showing up when video is selected from TV menu