How do I recover missing files after sudden power interruption

Photo files on my WD Passport were open when there was a sudden power interruption. When power was restored the files were missing. I have checked the disk health with the Utility App but no joy there. Can anyone suggest how best to go about recovering the files? Thank you

Google “Data Recovery Software”

Thank you. I did that but I was hoping for some first hand recommendations rather than some anonymous google result.

Have you tried CHKDSK on CMD?

Were you able to retrieve the SMART report? If so, were there any reallocated, pending or uncorrectable sectors?

Can you see the drive with DMDE?

If so, can you show us the Partitions window in DMDE?

CHKDSK is not recommended if the drive has physical problems. I would first run it in read-only mode, not repair mode, just to be safe.

Sudden power failure may lead to data loss situation and in worst case it may also lead to hard drive failure. However, the lost data can be recovered using reliable data recovery software.

Here, I recommend you to try Stellar Data Recovery Software that will help you recover lost or missing files from the affected drive. To know more about the software, check this link: Professional Data Recovery Software – Recover, Clone & Monitor hard drive

Hope it will help!!

Thank you. I will try this. And to the others who have offered their advice, thanks to you use too. Unfortunately I am a bit of a Neanderthal when it comes to working with computers and I don’t understand the language you are using. I do appreciate the time you took to respond.

Yes, trying to repair by yourself can be a challenge for most of us. The Stellarinfo that mikes2 posted offers an interesting method. There are many blogs on that site like this link: https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/how-to-fix-not-responding-hard-drive/

Another one I saw from WD… Error

Unfortunately they all take some reading, which I myself have not completely done.

Thank you for that. I will check it out. I am missing 1800 photos so I am willing to put in the effort to try any and all means necessary to retrieve them.

Data recovery professionals use R-Studio, UFS Explorer, and GetDataBack. DMDE is also recommended and costs US$20 for the basic version.

Just ask data recovery pros what they think of Stellar. They will not be kind.

Thank you. I have contacted GetDataBack.